Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cj5 Bell housings

Cj5 Bell housings

I'm restoring a 1955 CJ5 i also have a early 1960's CJ5 mostly for parts. The bell housing on my 55 has 2 rectangular slots one on each side the right side has a cover and the left is open for the clutch arm. The 60's model has a solid casting and a hole facing aft for the clutch cable much cleaner application. My question is can i use the 1960 Bell housing on my 55.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The early bell was set up for a left or right clutch release, hence the slot on each side. If the clutch fork fits in and pivots correctly in the right location, I also think it is a cleaner installation. I am not sure however. I'll bet gmwillys knows.

I wondered what that slot with the cover on the right side was for. On here you learn something every day.

Because the vehicles could be set up for right hand or left hand drive. When we had the '48 apart, you could see the places for all of the floorboard goodies over on the passenger side, and there is a brake/clutch pedal hanger on the right side of the frame. The instruments are in the middle of the dash, and the glove box could go on either side. The '48 had a two piece front seat and you could put the wide (driver/sweetie) seat on either side.

I've never been real happy with that big open hole on the right side of the bell housing - but it's been that way for 72 years and over 250K miles, so I guess I really need to find something else to worry about.

I have the same complaint about the big open hole in the bell. It is interesting that no boot is avalable to seal up the clutch fork. It seams a lot of stuff could get in there during the things these Jeeps were designed to do.

Larry you need this for the open side. https://walcks4wd.com/Bell-Housing-C...er_p_2172.html

It's amazing to what a clutch will survive. In the tractor business it was a constant source of amazement to what can end up in a bellhousing, even with all the covers installed. Mice/seat cushion foam, mud/manure, and bees were the norm. Loader tractors were the worst with all the attachment centered around the area of the clutch.

You really have to wonder if any of those engineers had to do actual field repairs, on what they created!

"Mice/seat cushion foam, mud/manure, and bees were the norm" There is no mention of dead goats. Were there no dead goats?

Mine had a little metal cover that closes that hole. Those damn Englishmen should learn to drive on the right side of the road.

This is the cover for the unused side. https://walcks4wd.com/Bell-Housing-C...er_p_2172.html

No dead goat, but I do have a dead hog story that relates, sort of.

We had a very good customer who bought lots of Ford tractors and service from us. The only issue was that he had a lot more money then sense. I was called out one hot summer day to replace the radiator on his backhoe. He had pulled the hoe into his shop, and parked it over the service pit. I thought to myself that it will be a new experience to be able to stand up while pulling the hardware for the rad. To do this, I had to stand on a bucket to reach up through the front axle pivot. Reaching up above my head, I felt around for the head of the bolt, but all I found was something soft stickie. When I brought my hand down, the stink was horrendous. Upon further inspection, it was part of a dead critter. When talking to the owners son, me told me that his dad raises hogs, but one of his prize hogs died. Instead of using the hoe and digging a hole to push the car us in, he drove over it until it was pushed down in the mud.... Most of it.