Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ham's 48: Timken Rear Axle Question

Little things you find on a Quarantine Afternoon

A. When you give a truck a thorough polishing and waxing, you find out that it has only slightly less surface area than an aircraft carrier … or so it seems. The chrome strip down the middle of the hood is going to have to come off to clean all of the buffing dust out from under the joint where chrome meets hood. Long armed grandsons will come in handy here.

B. Trucks, station wagons and sedan delivery hoods always flapped in the breeze. Willys offered a kit to reduce the flap, but I’ve no idea what was in it. Butch added a snubber on each side of the hood and at the eye watering speed of 45 MPH; the hood doesn’t flap anymore!

C. I straightened out the vent line and gave the truck a couple of runs to see what happened. AT a cold start, it pushed out a bolus of oil about an inch or an inch and a half long in the tube. (My smart daughter taught me that “bolus” was a slug of liquid introduced directly into something, like: “I’ll have a bolus of Jack Daniels please”. There is some more proper medical definition I don’t want to know). But, back to the vent tube – after a 20-mile trip around the county road circuit, it had asspirated back down into the case. I consider this annoyance solved. Thanks Bob, as you said – if there was anything thrashing around in there, it would just keep on comin’. Oh by the, it’s 85W140EP oil. Heavier than you recommended, but I don’t think it will ever get hot enough to get to 140. When I drain it, I’ll go to 75W85EP.

D. And, just to show that there is always just one more tweak to make … I had an issue that after about thirty minutes of running, the horn would not blow. Something got warm – not hot- and it just didn’t give a hoot! Now, the horn has always been a bit anemic – more a comic “oogah” than a “get outta my way” blast.

I suspect everyone else already knows what I am about to tell, but I went exploring. There is a screw on the back of the horn that just looks like it had to adjust something. SO, I got my little stubby straight screwdriver and turned it a bit CCW. The horn got more anemic and then quit. Hmmm, that’s not the way to turn it sez I to me. SO I turned it back to the starting place, back to just “oogah”. Well, let’s turn it CW some more; after about a quarter turn CW, it makes a nice “MOVE DA&&IT” sound, one I haven’t heard as long as I’ve had the truck – over 50-years. I’m still learning about this truck.

I have about a dozen paint spots that Butch has agreed to touch up once we get back to the new normal, I was talking to the granddaughter who coined the phrase that the truck was going to "spend the winter in the spa for exfoliation treatments". Her reply to my comments about little paint fixes "Aw Grandpa, she's just going to get the roots touched up". I am overrun with women ... And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Stay safe folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty productive day! The rubber snubbers should put just enough tension on the hood to prevent the Willys hood dance.

Did the Timken rear end originally have a vent tube? I wonder if it had a bronze vent screwed into the case?

A six volt horn with 12 volts applied, then turn the screw in and hold on. Definitely gets others attention.

I wondered why there was no activity on KWF on Saturday, everyone was busy working on their Heeps, good job Larry it looks like you got a lot accomplished on your baby!!!!

Timken Vent

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Did the Timken rear end originally have a vent tube? I wonder if it had a bronze vent screwed into the case?
    It screws into the left side of the casting just above the differential case. And no, bronze would be a much kinder description of the vent, just plated steel.

OK, it was a traditional vent. The bronze vents are cased in brass, but allow the case to vent, but keep oil in. They are used mostly in hydraulic systems, but also on some crank cases and rearends.

Vent

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    OK, it was a traditional vent. The bronze vents are cased in brass, but allow the case to vent, but keep oil in. They are used mostly in hydraulic systems, but also on some crank cases and rearends.
    Had there been any treads left in the casting, I would have tried this one.

Now I drop the two piece driveshaft and get new boots put on the u-joints.

We're getting closer to being "done". I dropped the driveshaft today and took it to the shop to get new U-joint boots put on (you need a press to get the cross pins out and the redneck bigger hammer and a brick wasn't a good idea).

Then I realized that there are three trunnion assemblies and I had two boots - Duh.

I ordered another one from Roberts and I had it shipped directly to the shop - saves me a trip.

A question .. in the attached picture, (not my dash), what is that little hole stopper upper in the lower RH corner of the dash called? I'm sure it has a formal name, but I can't find it!

A close out cap is what I've called them. A real hardware store should have them, or some auto parts stores will have them by size. A quick Google search didn't come up with any, but I'll try again after while.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-30-2020 at 04:51 AM.

Home Depot or Lowes has them Larry.

:... A close out cap is what I've called them. "

They are one of those things that have "trade names" that we hesitate to use in polite conversation. When they are used to close a hole in a junction box in electrical work, I've heard them called "AH covers". We all know about "da**it" clips on carburetors, and a lot of other convenient names.

I was looking through a Jeep catalog one day and saw exactly what I needed, but I turned my head and now it's gone.