Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ham's 48: Timken Rear Axle Question

You are looking for a "Chassis Plug"

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...sclient=psy-ab

That's it. Thank you Sir.

Drive Shaft Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    That's it. Thank you Sir.
    When we're just shootin' the breeze, it's just as easy to tag onto the last post as it is to try to start another string.

I've griped about the ball and trunnion u-joints forever. I think it was GMWillys who pointed me to a place that talked about rebuilding the PTO shaft on a CJ-2A. The PTO shaft uses the ball and trunnion joints and I found place that sells everything I will ever need to keep them going.

I took the shafts up to the shop yesterday and with the quarantine, it was a slow day. Heath ,the guy who hauled the truck up to Toledo last year was sitting at the desk, his dad (an old coot like us who has an M38A1 like he worked on in Korea in 1963) was smoking a cigarette (!!!!!) and one of the local farmers were sitting while everyone solved problems.

When I brought in the shafts, Dad got this look in his eye and started to tell us everything about them. I had found the right place again. "Yeah, they used these on the old Dodge farm trucks. You pull this back and you slip this over this collar and .....". By the time I left, he had the first end off the long shaft. He was bored too.

I told Heath "You owe me on this one. You don't have to entertain your Dad all afternoon."

From GMWillys' discovery of how to rebuild those joints, the gentleman who posted it noted that there were 28 needle bearings in the donut on each side of the cross pin. When Dad took it apart, each side of the joint was one needle short of a full pack. He also commented "That pin is really in there tight". . Yeah. I knew there was no way I would get it out without a press.

The long shaft is done; we're waiting for the boot I forgot to order to finish the short shaft. Then, just 15 bolts and we're ready to rock - again!

Of course one of those 15 is just about inacessible once you have the emergency brake rigging on the truck.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 04-30-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Great to know the world still exists as usual. Felt like I was walking into the shop with your description. The heat hit down here this week after a beautiful springtime. Glad to hear about the progress.

What Grade Hardware?

I cleaned up the hardware from the drive shaft flanges and I didn't really like what I found. It appears that the 12 flange bolts were probably old hardware and several of them are showing wear where the flanges have rubbed up against the threads and at least one has a kink in it. I have decided to go to new hardware, but how can something as simple as looking for a bolt become so complicated?

I sorted out the fasteners holding the driveshaft flanges together. Once I got them sorted, I had four piles of 3/8”-24 fasteners:

Qty 7 – 1“ long, Grade 5 - full thread
    Qty 2 – 3/4” long, Grade 2 - full thread
    Qty 1 – 7/8” long, Grade 2 - full thread
    Qty 3 – 1” long, Grade 8, 1/2 - inch thread

“Hey Bubba, if it goes in the hole, just put a nut on it and run it down”.

The thirteenth fastener is from the center-top of the center bearing bracket. The parts book says that bolt should be a 3/8”-24 x 2 ¾” bolt. Someone put a shorter bolt in that place and that makes it really hard to get to. I’m all into making life easier right now, so the longer bolt goes back in this time.

The parts book says all of the rest of them should be the same – but no hint as to what “same” should be.

Are Grade 2's OK for the flanges or do I need to go up a grade to 5's?
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 05-02-2020 at 09:15 AM.

I think you should try to find Grade 8. Of course cheap bolts will work.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Of course cheap bolts will work....." Oh yeah - guilt trip.

Grade 8's all the way.

And a full set of needles in the joints this time.

Haha, everyone needs a good guilt trip!

I was warding off any future readers that may want to use the wrong grade bolt in a "Critical Fastener" location. Because of the stress the Driveshaft assembly sees, the fasteners are critical. Not only must they come to the correct clamp load, there can be no defects. A driveshaft coming out at speed is something you do not want. It is dangerous to say the least.

Critical Fastener Lesson

" I was warding off any future readers that may want to use the wrong grade bolt in a "Critical Fastener" location."

I am always willing to be the example that gets used as a teaching opportunity. My favorite college English teacher would have me put a paragraph or note card on the board (exactly as I had written it, punctuation errors and all), shake her head and say "Mr. Beardsley, whatever shall we do with this?".

Then she would use me as the terrible example.

Since we are at a point to have a lesson, teach us the difference between hex tap bolts, hex bolts and hex cap screws - I never knew there were so many choices for fasteners.

I’ve found that between these 2 places you can find Anything that was ever made as far as fasteners goes they have it!!

https://www.boltdepot.com/

https://www.mcmaster.com/
    Last edited by TJones; 05-03-2020 at 07:36 AM.