Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ham's 48: Timken Rear Axle Question

the bolt Depot is my go to for sure.

I am not worthy to teach about fasteners. I am quite familiar with them but, fastener engineering is another one of those specialties. Here's a quick explanation for "the difference between hex tap bolts, hex bolts and hex cap screws".

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...ex-cap/277.htm

A HEX Bolt newsletter. Who knew...

Drive SHaft Rebuild

I needed 12 Grade 8, 1-inch, 24-thread pitch bolts to finish up the driveshaft project. So, knowing me, I ordered an extra one so when I lost one I would have enough to finish up the job. Before I crawled up under the truck and got into the job, I opened the sack and spread out my hardware.

Yep, there were 13 bolts in the sack – but only eleven of the bolts I needed. Thanks Fastenal. I did have one ¾-inch Grade 8 that I used to put things together, but I need to replace it when I go back to re-tighten things in a day or so.

"Two of these things are not like the others, two of these things just don't belong here...". Elmo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Driveshaft Project Closeout

Fort Wayne Clutch and Driveshaft finished up the balancing job on the two pieces of the driveshaft. When I talked to the tech he said; “That was a really interesting job”. I told him; “That’s the general description of just about everything on that truck”.

As you can see, he added some balance weights and gave me witness marks to put it back together. But, for some reason, he didn’t realize that the holes in the flanges are not symmetrical. They are on the same radius, but they are not 90-degrees apart – so one set of marks was off by 90-degrees. When I aligned the marks, the bolt holes didn’t line up, no big deal.

He straightened the rear shaft. Now when I looked at the job sheet, it was 0.036-inches out of true when he started and the final was “within 0.006-inches”. I don’t think it was that bad to start, but he was proud of the job he did. There is a little play in the center carrier bearing that may or may not be a factor in things.

It went back on fairly easily, one of the more pleasant half-hours I've spent under the truck. I have figured out where to loop the rope around the shaft to support the flailing end while I work on the other one and I didn’t even drop the shaft on my head one time. But, if I had, I wouldn’t have admitted it to my wife.

We went for a couple of rides – and the vibration is still there. It wasn’t the driveshaft. But – now I know it’s not the shaft – and I have nice new boots on the U-joints. I need to go back to the tire shop because I lost the balance weights off the right rear wheel last summer, so we’ll see if that helps. If not – it’s probably differential noise and I don’t intend to tear that thing apart. Old trucks make noises.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 05-20-2020 at 10:28 AM.