Thread: 1953-1964 CJ3B serial number

1953-1964 CJ3B serial number

I recently purchased a 1953-1964 and it is missing the data plates and I can not find the serial number stamped on the frame. I am trying to figure out what the serial number is. the engine serial number is 4FR137896 it was stamped on the front left side of the motor. There is another number that was stamped above where the water pump goes it is 2624X. I don't know if it is the original engine but i do know that is was rebuilt at Mustang Re-builders with a job number of 55096. Any help would be appreciated.

Wow a tough one for sure. If you can find anyone who has a prior license plate number, or a prior registration, you would be all set. If you can find a prior owner you could ask them if they would search their Motor Vehicle records with the State. Some of the other Members may have a few thoughts.

If it is the original motor, the 137896 should in theory be the last 6 digits of the number. The rest of the numbers could be determined if you can find more information. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number

However as has been pointed out numerous times on this forum and verified by persons still alive who worked at Willys, "Never say Willis Never" a quote from Larrbeard. Willys was known in tough times to use up old inventory, and unused inventory from other vehicles. I have one myself. An early 1950 3A with some 2A components and Truck components, including the motor.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-22-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Serial Number Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by dunnski99 View Post
    I recently purchased a 1953-1964 and it is missing the data plates and I can not find the serial number stamped on the frame. I am trying to figure out what the serial number is. the engine serial number is 4FR137896 it was stamped on the front left side of the motor. There is another number that was stamped above where the water pump goes it is 2624X. I don't know if it is the original engine but i do know that is was rebuilt at Mustang Re-builders with a job number of 55096. Any help would be appreciated.
    Here is a pretty good discussion of numbers on CJ3B's, but as you will find from the article, there was no consistency or reason to the serial number marking on anything other than the actual vehicle serial number plate.

https://cj3b.info/SerialNos/SerialNosFrame.html

Look at what I found!

https://www.cj3b.info/SerialNos/SerialNosEngine.html

"Some Jeeps have engine numbers which are clearly not original, and were taken from another vehicle. Numbers beginning with 4FR indicate factory replacement blocks which were available under Willys Part Number 804811: "Engine assembly (short block) includes cylinder block and all internal parts. Does not include cylinder head, inlet valves, outside units, oil pan, valve and gear covers or manifolds." "

It appears that your engine was built around a genuine factory short block. Of course, that doesn't help you find a vehicle number.

But, I have a question for the experts. Did the CJ-3B wiring stay consistent through the production run. I know that the early ones used point-to-point wiring harnesses, but did the late production go to terminal blocks and connectors? The style of wiring might give dunski99 an idea of just when his CJ was built.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 03-22-2020 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added link to source

Willys stopped using 6 volt in 1956 in the CJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by dunnski99 View Post
    i recently purchased a 1953-1964 and it is missing the data plates and i can not find the serial number stamped on the frame. I am trying to figure out what the serial number is. The engine serial number is 4fr137896 it was stamped on the front left side of the motor. There is another number that was stamped above where the water pump goes it is 2624x. I don't know if it is the original engine but i do know that is was rebuilt at mustang re-builders with a job number of 55096. Any help would be appreciated.
    just so happens got a extra data plate original serial number waiting for a jeep to rivet it to

Well thank you knowing that i have a 1953-1956 CJ3B.