Thread: Cj3a steering bell crank

Cj3a steering bell crank

Attached is a photo of the everything new steering bell crank from KW. As we know, their instructional videos are a bit quick. In this case it’s a different setup altogether. My question, should the lightly pressed in bearing sleeve be recessed enough to allow the seals to sit flush or should I leave them up a bit as shown and “squish “ them a bit. My thought is that squishing will impede the rotation.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom, you are all over it. Several different designs coming together there. None of the parts out there are the original design. The idea is the pinch bolt holds the taper and you tighten the nut on the Bell Crank pivot pin until there is a small amount of clearance. You are correct if you squish the seal, the first time you turn the wheel it ruins it.

Install the pivot to with in about .030" of clearance between the seal and the frame mount. Tighten the pinch bolt. Tighten the pivot nut and draw the clearance down to about .020". When you grease the bell crank pivot the seal will push right out and up against the frame mount. The clearance you leave will insure all stays well when it moves. Too much clearance and the seal will rotate or fall out.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-23-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: pivot nut

So first things first, get that seal just below the steel on both sides, then install as you have instructed.

Yes, if you can get the seal in that far. It's a fragile thing. It doesn't need to go all the way in. If it won't go it will be OK, dont try to force it. You will trap it in place with the the clearance you set. It will usually move as soon as you grease it anyway.