Thread: New to Willys.

New to Willys.

I just bought a 1954 CJ3B that I'm going to do a ground up restoration. Looks like someone converted it to 12 volts, I think I read that 12 volts came into play in 1957. I'm trying to identify some things before I start to take it apart. There's a tag on the side of the tub that says
    No1 CV 1/2"
    Red Dot
    L.E. Mason Co.
    Am I right to assume that's who made the tub? I can't find any info on the internet about that name.
    Thank you
    Happy to be a new member to the forum.

Welcome zookeepwr!

It is hard to say from here to what exactly you have. Please post some pictures of your 3B, and of the mystery tag. I found a tid bit of information on the L.E. Mason Company;

http://blog.valuethisnow.com/posts/t...-mason-company

It would seem that a previous owner may have installed the tag, or even better yet, the company may have owned the Jeep.

Hello zookeeper, your 3b was 6 volts when born. There is nothing wrong with a good 12 volt conversion however, unless you are going all original.

Thanks for getting back to me. Here's a couple pictures of the willys and a picture of the tag.Hope I did that right./Users/zookeepwr/Desktop/IMG_0932.jpeg/Users/zookeepwr/Desktop/IMG_0933.jpeg/Users/zookeepwr/Desktop/IMG_0951.jpegIMG_0951.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zookeepwr; 03-26-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Hope I did that right

Quote Originally Posted by zookeepwr View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me. Here's a couple pictures of the willys and a picture of the tag.Hope I did that right./Users/zookeepwr/Desktop/IMG_0932.jpeg/Users/zookeepwr/Desktop/IMG_0933.jpeg/Users/zookeepwr/Desktop/IMG_0951.jpegIMG_0951.jpg
    If you want to attach a picture, go to the bottom of the screen and in the "Additional Options" section, select "Manage Attachments". That will take you to a screen that says to "Upload Files from your computer". Click the "Choose File" box and then go find the picture you want to upload. The title of the file will appear, then click "Upload". When its done, you can either "Close this window", or pick another file.

This puts pictures as attachnemts and makes them easy to view - in an album or slide show format. If you bury them in text, some browsers go crazy and show one picture, then make you sign into the site again.

Nice little Jeep. "It's so cute" as my grandkids would say.

I'll guess that the tag has to do with whoever built that little cap for the Jeep, but with a Jeep, you can only trust what you see.

Rules of Jeep

1. What you see is what you have. Trust Nothing in print, or what you were told until you verify it with your own eyes.

2. Never say "Willys would never have ________. " They probably did and didn't document it, especially at the change of a year.

At the change of a year, the papers for a 1953 CJ could, and were changed, to make it a 1954 since nothing really changed for the model year.
    Attached Images Attached Images