Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Case Blues?

Transfer Case Blues?

HI Jeepers!

My 63 Utility Wagon, 4-WD w/230 Tornado, all original, has lost power to the rear wheels!? No bangs or booms---just no grab. Front drive is fine. How should I troubleshoot to narrow to the transfer case? Or what is a common failure that produces this result? Other than removing the case & disassembling (UGH)...do I safely prop up rear end and see what spins?
    Any helpful thoughts greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Wayback Willys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ugh - but she just keeps clawing along!

Very nice wagon.

Dr. Dana (BMorgil, the axle Doctor) will probably chime in here pretty quickly and give a real expert opinion and diagnosis.

Wayback, I am not sure about the credentials Larry applied but, here's an opinion!

If you crawl underneath with the motor off and transmission in gear, transfer case engaged in 2 wheel drive, can you grab the rear driveshaft and turn it? If you can, does the truck try to move (power from the driveshaft to the axle via your arms). We need to be sure the transfer case is the culprit and not the rear axle. If it is the transfer case, it could to be a broken output shaft or gear. I would expect a lot of noise. Failures like this with a Dana 18 would be uncommon with stock engines. If the propeller shaft wont turn by hand with all your might, put the transfer case in neutral. If the propeller shaft turns but the vehicle doesn't move, my money is on a broken axle shaft. Let us know.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-26-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Welcome way back Willys!
    Great looking wagon!

The Dana 18 transfer case is pretty much bullet proof. I am with Bmorgil in his assessment. The rear axles are keyed to the hubs, so it is typically the weak link in the system.

How many times have we had a problem and assumed the worst and then found out it is the simplest thing to fix?

Troubleshooting starts with K. I. S. S. Keep it simple stupid. Easy things first, then go deeper.

LarrBeard
    I'm beginning to respond to all the great input but am not too savvy with the site---please know I really appreciate you getting the ball rolling on this one! Amazingly, the 2 (only) previous owners of the wagon protected it and didn't get crazy with it. "Precious" has some body blems but is 'factory' other than that...crazy!

GM Willys

Thanks for this! I HAVE been working on the brakes and learning about he tapered keys----hmmmm----need to double check those!!

NO Lie!
    I jumped to the worst case scenario on this----even considered cutting open the floor to ease access to the TC....but only for a moment!

OK bmorgil---this will be my move. I HAVE been working on the rear brakes and tapered keys and will check those too. Up to this point no noise when trying to get rear wheel power....
    Questions:
    Turning the driveshaft WITH REAR WHEELS UP, correct? Pretty sure I couldn't move the truck either way if not! )
    Embarrassing Question:
    "Propeller Shaft" ...the driveshaft/u-joint connection on the front of the rear differential, correct? (duh)
    Thank you for this guidance....it prevents me from cutting out a section of the floor pan and staring at the TC!!

"Im old enough to realize what a wealth of knowledge anyone over 50 can be....what will the Millennials do when we're all dead???"