Thread: Brake pedal arm issues

Brake pedal arm issues

Just installed a new dual master cylinder kit from KW, and at the same time replaced the brake pedal arm which had wallowed out from years of service.
    Problem is these new arms are straight without the offset designed into the old original arm. Without the offset "jog" the new arm hits the new master cylinder when depressed.
    The question is has anyone run into this? Can this arm be heated and safely bent. It appears to be cast but I'm not sure if it is cast steel or cast iron.
    Thanks

Humpty, the one I received from KW 800527, was forged. They are quite malleable. I shaped mine to the original in a press. My new one needed to be bent abut 1/2".

That's great news.
    I'll tear it back down in the next few days and verify with the old arm the angles and points. Might even get it to line up better with the body hole as well!
    Thanks
    Steve

I actually finished the bending by fitting them perfectly in the body holes. They both needed a little "tweeking". The original clutch arm and the new brake arm.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-03-2020 at 08:50 AM.

I hope to be able to do that as well. I don't have a press so it would be some running back and forth to the blacksmith, plus this is not a body off restore (yet ��) so it's a tougher job with my meat hands in tight places. Just comforting to know it can be done afterall.

They bend fairly easy. you may be able to work wonders with a bottle jack, or a vise. It took me a few tries and it is tight in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty View Post
    Just installed a new dual master cylinder kit from KW, and at the same time replaced the brake pedal arm which had wallowed out from years of service.
    Problem is these new arms are straight without the offset designed into the old original arm. Without the offset "jog" the new arm hits the new master cylinder when depressed.
    The question is has anyone run into this? Can this arm be heated and safely bent. It appears to be cast but I'm not sure if it is cast steel or cast iron.
    Thanks

WHAT ADVANTAGE HAVE YOU FOUND WITH LARGER VOLUME MATER CYLINDER OVER ORIGINAL? Original took me a while to get it all leveled out and adjusted, but it stops the jeep

"WHAT ADVANTAGE HAVE YOU FOUND WITH LARGER VOLUME MATER CYLINDER OVER ORIGINAL? Original took me a while to get it all leveled out and adjusted, but it stops the jeep"

The dual reservoir master cylinder isn't for increased volume, but to have two circuits within the system. You have a front circuit and a rear. This is for a little added safety more than anything, meaning that if you spring a leak or cut a hose on the front axle, you'll have enough stopping power with the rear since all the brake fluid didn't leak out onto the road.