Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Case Blues?

Hybrid View

Transfer Case Blues?

HI Jeepers!

My 63 Utility Wagon, 4-WD w/230 Tornado, all original, has lost power to the rear wheels!? No bangs or booms---just no grab. Front drive is fine. How should I troubleshoot to narrow to the transfer case? Or what is a common failure that produces this result? Other than removing the case & disassembling (UGH)...do I safely prop up rear end and see what spins?
    Any helpful thoughts greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Wayback Willys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ugh - but she just keeps clawing along!

Very nice wagon.

Dr. Dana (BMorgil, the axle Doctor) will probably chime in here pretty quickly and give a real expert opinion and diagnosis.

Wayback, I am not sure about the credentials Larry applied but, here's an opinion!

If you crawl underneath with the motor off and transmission in gear, transfer case engaged in 2 wheel drive, can you grab the rear driveshaft and turn it? If you can, does the truck try to move (power from the driveshaft to the axle via your arms). We need to be sure the transfer case is the culprit and not the rear axle. If it is the transfer case, it could to be a broken output shaft or gear. I would expect a lot of noise. Failures like this with a Dana 18 would be uncommon with stock engines. If the propeller shaft wont turn by hand with all your might, put the transfer case in neutral. If the propeller shaft turns but the vehicle doesn't move, my money is on a broken axle shaft. Let us know.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-26-2020 at 07:21 AM.

OK bmorgil---this will be my move. I HAVE been working on the rear brakes and tapered keys and will check those too. Up to this point no noise when trying to get rear wheel power....
    Questions:
    Turning the driveshaft WITH REAR WHEELS UP, correct? Pretty sure I couldn't move the truck either way if not! )
    Embarrassing Question:
    "Propeller Shaft" ...the driveshaft/u-joint connection on the front of the rear differential, correct? (duh)
    Thank you for this guidance....it prevents me from cutting out a section of the floor pan and staring at the TC!!

"Im old enough to realize what a wealth of knowledge anyone over 50 can be....what will the Millennials do when we're all dead???"

What will the Millennials do when we're all dead?

Quote Originally Posted by WaybackWillys View Post
    "I'm old enough to realize what a wealth of knowledge anyone over 50 can be....what will the Millennials do when we're all dead???"
    If we correspond in cursive they will never break the code.

Last week I was at my buddy's shop and he had a 4x4 F-150 that had a failed rear wheel bearing. It finally froze up and cut the rear axle. The real damage came when things folded up and skidded on the ground.

Let's hope simple...

Love this!!

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    If we correspond in cursive they will never break the code.

Last week I was at my buddy's shop and he had a 4x4 F-150 that had a failed rear wheel bearing. It finally froze up and cut the rear axle. The real damage came when things folded up and skidded on the ground.

Let's hope simple...

That’s Freaking Hilarious LarrBeard, if we correspond in cursive

No cutting allowed Wayback. To get the transfer case out isn't as bad as you think.

Keep it on the ground, you will be surprised how well you can move your truck with your arms. The big gear ratio in the axle is a help. My fault on the terminology, old habit! A Propeller Shaft is a Driveshaft. It includes the tube and the u joints. Grab a hold of the tube. Keep it on the ground. I want to see if you can grab the tube with the transfer case in gear and move your truck a small amount, by twisting the tube of the Propeller shaft with your hands. Make no mistake your not going far here. We are trying to see if the Propeller shaft will turn the pinion on the axle and propel the vehicle. You shouldn't be able to do much here. You can certainly put it in the air and try it that way also. The point here is if you are able to move your vehicle a foot or so with you hands turning on the shaft, the engine is not engaged. The transfer case would have to be disconnected for you to be able to do this. If you put the transfer case in neutral and you can now spin the Propeller shaft and the vehicle doesn't move, the rear axle has an issue.

HAHAH
    The cutting thought was in a weak moment......
    I will do as you requested Obi Wan....since we seem to have time on our hands......stay tuned for the report!!

LarrBeard
    I'm beginning to respond to all the great input but am not too savvy with the site---please know I really appreciate you getting the ball rolling on this one! Amazingly, the 2 (only) previous owners of the wagon protected it and didn't get crazy with it. "Precious" has some body blems but is 'factory' other than that...crazy!