Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Case Blues?

What will the Millennials do when we're all dead?

Quote Originally Posted by WaybackWillys View Post
    "I'm old enough to realize what a wealth of knowledge anyone over 50 can be....what will the Millennials do when we're all dead???"
    If we correspond in cursive they will never break the code.

Last week I was at my buddy's shop and he had a 4x4 F-150 that had a failed rear wheel bearing. It finally froze up and cut the rear axle. The real damage came when things folded up and skidded on the ground.

Let's hope simple...

No cutting allowed Wayback. To get the transfer case out isn't as bad as you think.

Keep it on the ground, you will be surprised how well you can move your truck with your arms. The big gear ratio in the axle is a help. My fault on the terminology, old habit! A Propeller Shaft is a Driveshaft. It includes the tube and the u joints. Grab a hold of the tube. Keep it on the ground. I want to see if you can grab the tube with the transfer case in gear and move your truck a small amount, by twisting the tube of the Propeller shaft with your hands. Make no mistake your not going far here. We are trying to see if the Propeller shaft will turn the pinion on the axle and propel the vehicle. You shouldn't be able to do much here. You can certainly put it in the air and try it that way also. The point here is if you are able to move your vehicle a foot or so with you hands turning on the shaft, the engine is not engaged. The transfer case would have to be disconnected for you to be able to do this. If you put the transfer case in neutral and you can now spin the Propeller shaft and the vehicle doesn't move, the rear axle has an issue.

HAHAH
    The cutting thought was in a weak moment......
    I will do as you requested Obi Wan....since we seem to have time on our hands......stay tuned for the report!!

Love this!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaybackWillys View Post
    Love this!!
    It gets worse than this. It's still too early for yardwork and we're restricted to quarters!

Hid in the barn all day. Working on the boat. Wood burning heat, quiet, refrigerator. Fishing pole needs cleaning. Wife working from home, son college grad school from home, not quiet..... the barn is a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    If we correspond in cursive they will never break the code.

Last week I was at my buddy's shop and he had a 4x4 F-150 that had a failed rear wheel bearing. It finally froze up and cut the rear axle. The real damage came when things folded up and skidded on the ground.

Let's hope simple...

That’s Freaking Hilarious LarrBeard, if we correspond in cursive

"son college grad school"

Is that the Big D or is there another one still hanging around?

That's him!

I put a power steering in a 2009 Ford Pickup today. It was about a 5 hour job. I hope I never have to do that again. I think they started building it with a power steering pump and add parts all around it until they had a vehicle. Talking about a rear wheel bearing locking up, I had a 1991 3/4 ton Ford diesel pickup that I worked out of and a rear wheel bearing locked up and actually chewed the tread off the tire all the way down to the steel. I backed it up and forward a little and it freed up. Limped back to town and put it up on the rack. It welded the race to the hub.