Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Case Blues?

So bmoril-if you're willing to continue the conversation?

Some transfer case tests have ensued: All done with front wheels chocked and rears off the ground one inch with 2 jack-stands and a hydraulic jack for good luck under the differential. I'll try to be clear.

#1 With everything in neutral, transmission & TC, I can roll the shaft manually and turn the passenger side rear tire.

#2 With the transfer case in neutral, and the tranny in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, I can start the engine,drop the clutch and the shaft does not move.

#3 Then I ran out of gas in my own driveway and will need to try again tomorrow!!

Stay Healthy!!

They'll go to our estate sales a stock up on flannel/work shirts to make it look like they really do know everything.... Oh wait, I'm thinking of hipsters. Same difference.

If the drive shaft, (propeller shaft/tumble rod for our British friends) turns when the wagon is on the ground, then you absolutely have a damaged/missing key way.

If you are careful you can raise the rear wheels and place the axle on sturdy jack stands, they put the transmission in gear with the engine at idle. Then you can look up underneath to verify the drive shaft is turning. Have a helper sit in the driver's seat to shut things down in an emergency.

There are no silly or dumb questions, please keep us in the loop on your progress!

I love the ran out of gas part! Truly "things that go wrong". The last thing you would expect in the middle of the test.

Well, the wheel turning is good, however it has zero load on it. You don't need the engine running now, your last test showed there is some transfer to the driveshaft. Let's stress it a little. I would leave it off. Get two more people (stipends may be required). Try the test with the motor off. Have someone holding both rear tires with all their might.Try to turn the tube. If you flip someone around at the wheel when you turn the tube, this is promising, for the axle's integrity. Put the transfer case in gear, and the Transmission in gear. You had better not be able to turn the tube.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-27-2020 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Clarify

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    Talking about a rear wheel bearing locking up, I had a 1991 3/4 ton Ford diesel pickup that I worked out of and a rear wheel bearing locked up and actually chewed the tread off the tire all the way down to the steel. I backed it up and forward a little and it freed up. Limped back to town and put it up on the rack. It welded the race to the hub.
    Ha ha! I have a few axle stories, from test cell disasters to some wild road stuff. My favorite was when in a Baja event through a small town intersection, some questionable moves from a competitor, sent a large wheel and partial axle shaft across the hood and it landed in front of a coffee shop smokin'. No one hurt, no coffee spilled. I can also say you haven't lived until you burn one so bad it melts off and passes you. A very bad vision to say the least!

In all seriousness, if gm is correct and I have a feeling he is, that axle will get very damaged as it melts off.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-27-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Not as certain as a GM corporate C clip axle failing and passing you. With the Dana being an open differential, the probability of the axle nut backing off enough to allow the hub to fall off is low.

LarrBeard has a great plan. Cursive will confuse the crap out of them!

Gentlemen-
    While further testing is continuing regarding the transfer case---I don't mean to digress BUT---am I wrong in thinking that with rear wheels elevated, engine on, transfer case in neutral, tranny in 1st , 2nd or 3rd with clutch engaged.....the drive shaft should be moving???? And at least one of the rear wheels as well??
    So, engine on, TC in neutral, clutch engaged, rear elevated....shaft dead. What am I missing?

As background...with all wheels on the ground and TC engaged....front drive moves me down the street.

This is a bit off the TC topic...but your thoughts are appreciated!!
    Last edited by WaybackWillys; 03-27-2020 at 02:08 PM.

With the transfer case in neutral there will be no power transferred to the front or rear. With the transfer case in 2 wheel drive power is to the rear only. Transfer case in 4 wheel drive power is to the front and rear. There is not a power to the front only option.

gm and I are of the strong belief the rear hub is slipping on the axle shaft. With the vehicle in the air, motor off. holding both rear tires solid, try to turn the tube. If you can the axle has a problem. Put the transfer case in gear, and the Transmission in gear, Clutch engaged (foot off the pedal). You had better not be able to turn the tube. If you can the Transfer case has an issue.

Or put the transfer case in 2wd, tranny in gear, engine off. Jack up one wheel and see if you can roll it. If you can is the driveshaft turning? If not it is axle, if it is transfer case. Different way to get to the same place.

Gentlemen this is great info!
    I was ignorant that the TC needs to be engaged, with Aux Range in neutral, to continue power to the rear!!
    I will try all the tests today and report back!
    Shift Pattern.jpg

I've uploaded and image of my shift pattern just to be sure we're using the same lingo----not sure it will come through

Also added Eye Candy as the reward for your efforts-----found (free!) a Jerry can from 51 and am cleaning it and applying Presidential Red
    Jerry Can.jpg

Woe Wayback, when the transfer case auxiliary range is in neutral, nothing moves. When the front axle drive is "IN" there is power to the front and rear. When it is "OUT", there is power to the rear only. When the Auxiliary range is in "LOW" the transfer case is in its lower gear. When it is in "HIGH" the transfer case is in direct.