Thread: Need help Identifying this tub?

Hybrid View

Need help Identifying this tub?

I purchased this steel tub with an ID (picture attached) showing it is a 56 CJ 5. As I get into this I am seeing a lot of differences with the 57 and 60 coweles. The big difference is there is no place for the heater. Was I mistaken on what this tub is?

CAD17764-284E-4B6F-BC34-1DE17088148E.jpg63815526-4045-4555-B7C1-80E3E0C762D4.jpg

So after doing a little looking on the internet I think someone put a old vin on a remanufactured tub. Any more information would be helpful.

I don't think there is much doubt the VIN tag was removed and reapplied. It does look like a Repro-Tub. Unless it was a rare one, most Repro-Tubs are made by MD Juan in the Philippines. http://www.mdjuan.com.ph/

They have come a long way in Quality. If it is a Repro, it could have come to the US via several distributors. In any event, you may want to contact MD Juan or, look at what they currently have and compare. They used to be fairly easy to communicate with, from what I have read.

Thank you for the reply an information. I can work thru the wiring issues but do you have any ideas if I wanted to put a heater in it?

Heater

Quote Originally Posted by Willys@57 View Post
    Thank you for the reply an information. I can work thru the wiring issues but do you have any ideas if I wanted to put a heater in it?
    Here is a starting place ...

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-com...lllys-and-jeep

If you do not get adequate satisfaction from here, try the fine folks over at Early CJ;

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php

Thanks to all that have responded. The heater looks to be the way to go an I will ask at the early CJ site once I get access. I’m sure I will have more questions as I move forward. I thought I would attach a picture on what I’m workin on since I have ask so many questions. LOL

7239B573-D09D-40E4-B580-F72C88EB0ABC.jpg
    Last edited by Willys@57; 03-31-2020 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Picture USA upsidedown

Heaters

Heaters were a dealer option in may of the early trucks, wagons, sedan deliveries, etc.

The '48 truck originally came from Mississippi and had a heater about the size of a coffee can. It wasn't much heater in Tennessee and it definitely had to get replaced once I got to Indiana. The replacement seems to be a more common heater for trucks - I've seen a couple of them in other restored vehicles.

Even the 1950 Dodge Wayfarer had an anemic add-on heater.

So after doing a little more research on this tub on the early CJ site (recommended by gmwillys) I found this. Looks like 56 CJ5 did not come with a heater and may be an original after all. I hope this help someone else.

3B6765E2-B499-44AF-B40D-76BF7CF13409.jpg. C43A273A-5C17-4809-915E-DD8992F23032.jpg