Thread: Timing gear lube.

Timing gear lube.

When working on mine I noticed what looked like a nipple sticking out of the cover and it had been brazed shut. Didn't think too much about it. Someone previously had added the filter upgrade that takes the old Ford spin on filter. Then I was reading on a Facebook thread where someone was mentioning that a line from the filter might go down to the timing cover to lube the gears. Is that the case or do the timing gears get lubed some other way?

Timing Gear Lube

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    do the timing gears get lubed some other way?
    Both the F-134 and L-134 engines have a “Timing Gear Oil Jet” buried down in the illustrated parts breakdown of the engines. That indicates that there was some provision to have oil from the pressure lube system squirt lube into the timing gear area.

The fitting on the side of the timing gear housing may have just been a convenient way to dump filtered oil back into the sump, not a primary lube source for the gears.

Anybody else have any information?

It is the return Larry. The timing set has an orifice threaded into the block, pointed right into the mesh that provides lubrication.

That is good to hear. Thanks.