Thread: out of the frying pan into the fire

out of the frying pan into the fire

Hello all first posting

With shelter in place have been doing a lot of wrenching. Two weeks ago got an old D4 6U Cat going that had been sitting for about ten years ( bad fuel contamination.
    IMG_0956.JPG

Then my son says what about that old Willys "that would be nice if that were running again" Says he will buy the parts if I do most of the wrenching.
    So we dragged to my shop and I have started to dismantle.60822969677__5E6FE87E-7A5A-487F-A742-7CB25E1736DC.jpg

This willys was on a family farm in Fairfield CA Orchards work truck. I got it, used it around my place put it in reverse one day at it seems to lock up.
    So put it in the barn, get to it later, project 1452

Serial # 454 GB2 24329

was originally dark red color was over sprayed OD and applied French military marking for a Bastile Day Party.

From the serial # I beleive it was made in 1954 ( kinda funny its the same year as my D4 6U Cat) and of Ford manufacture.

from this serial # can someone tell me where it was assembled.

Yours Patrick

I had an old Allis Chalmers tractor, named Alice. So much fun, and still productive for my needs 45 years later. Good luck and will be interested in the progress

Engine # looks like 4J57L10??????

Welcome! Try here for a start. gmwillys and others on this site will probably be able to help you further.

http://wwiijeepparts.com/Archives/JeepSerialNumber.html

Unless someone did some new and improving, the engine should be the F-head L-134. It looks like an old flathead but has a little valve cover on the top.

engine numbers are stamped on a boss behind the water pump - if it didn't get planed off when someone had to shave the head and block to fix a warp.

Might be in two gears at once.