Thread: PTO controls

PTO controls

Anyone here familiar with the PTO controls/operation? I have a 55 wagon with a PTO winch and I believe something is not correct. Here is what I have to do to turn the PTO shaft:

Disengage the clutch
    Move the far right (4th) shift lever to neutral
    Move the 3rd shift lever up
    Put the transmission in 1st or reverse
    Pull up on BOTH of the small levers under the seat and hold them up (will not stay up by themselves)
    Let the clutch out

It those two small levers that bother me. Seems like they should stay up and one would be engage, the other would be something else. Does anyone know (for certain) how these are supposed to work?

Welcome 55 Willys Wagon!

I will have to fact check my thoughts before confirming the process to operate the winch, but you are correct, there should be detents to hold the levers in place. I know of only one style of winch that has a duel control lever set up, lets see if we are on the same page;

An example of the winch set up is as follows:

http://www.ewillys.com/2019/01/17/du...ington-ky-900/

The duel control is for essentially to run two functions off of the same PTO, i.e. a front mounted winch and a rear mounted accessory or even another winch. Most power take off controls either for a front mounted winch or a rear accessory would look like the following picture of a rear capstan style winch:
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=gmwillys;11771]Welcome 55 Willys Wagon!

I will have to fact check my thoughts before confirming the process to operate the winch, but you are correct, there should be detents to hold the levers in place. I know of only one style of winch that has a duel control lever set up, lets see if we are on the same page;

An example of the winch set up is as follows:

http://www.ewillys.com/2019/01/17/du...ington-ky-900/

And that drive shaft is a ball and trunnion driveshaft, did they use that as the PTO shaft? It's only the second one I've seen after the one out in the car barn!

To add some information, I came across this page with everything one may need to know about the PTOs used on the Willys through the years.

http://48cj2a.com/PTOs.htm

LarrBeard,

At the bottom of the page the author has an in-depth procedure to how to rebuild the drive shaft. Hopefully you won't need it on Ham's 48, but the info is there to read through.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-02-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Getting those 56 needle bearings to stay in place is a lot of fun.

Doc Dana has figured out how to replace it with a "real Dana shaft" if we ever need to.

But, I found the rebuild kits that the gentleman referenced, they are MOPAR kits from Roberts Motor Parts P/N P67 or P68 depending if you need the housing or not. They were 1933 - 1957 Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, DeSoto (DPCD) joints,

I will replace boots this spring - the boots I have from two of our favorite suppliers were very old stock that just disintegrated. Roberts (P/N T65) are new with no internal checking or splits.

Wow, great links that describe everything and even provide images I can use to recreate the operation labels. Thank you!!!

Anytime! We are here to help!