Thread: Hi my name is jerry

Hi my name is jerry

Just got my first jeep a 1963 cj 5
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Jerry
    Looks like you have a pretty good start to a project, keep the pictures coming we all love to see progress.

You've definitely got something to start with there. I am going to have to find a hitch like that one for mine.

That looks like a great find. Whats it look like under the hood?

That's the factory hitch okiemark, I think its the same one from the early Jeeps to the CJ5's. They can be found from time to time. http://www.ewillys.com/2016/02/12/cj...r-stow-oh-100/ You also need one of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Willys...ry!43619!US!-1

Welcome Jerry! Looks like a great start to an early '5 rebuild project.

Okiemark, that is a factory hitch as bmorgil has stated. He has given some great sources to check out.

Factory Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Welcome Jerry! Looks like a great start to an early '5 rebuild project.

Okiemark, that is a factory hitch as bmorgil has stated. He has given some great sources to check out.
    That's a stump pullin' hitch for sure.

I just figured out that some of the holes on the rear of the '48's frame were for mounting the pintle hook! Learning more all the time

"Too soon I get old, too late I get smart"

bmorgil, mine has that V brace on it and I have put on a new bumper and backup piece as well as the piece that goes from the bumper up to the V brace. I am not planning on pulling a lot with that jeep but wouldn't mind having the ability to do so. I can fabricate something if need be.

That factory hitch (draw bar) is brutally strong. A piece of 1/8 " thick angle iron and thick straps. It is very capable of lifting the entire Jeep. It was designed to hook up a three point hitch and plow fields among other things. My Jeep was used as a farm tractor. The draw bar shows signs of heavy use. The pintal hitch plate was welded to it. Plowing the fields had shaken everything loose one too many times, so the farmer welded it on! I have to say if you were plowing and the hitch kept falling off, I can understand that. It had been welded to in a few spots. It took a while to clean it up but, when it was done and the welds ground off, it was straight and solid still.

If you can get your hands on one they are great.

More pictures Jerry!

53759396-8F4B-4871-AB40-629043FAA860.jpgWelcome and have fun workinG on that 63. I have one as well. I have not had a Chance to do much work on mine yet.