Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New guy here

Found the drain on transmission after looking up in book, just hidden under years of caked on dirt and grime. Skid plate had partially hidden it also.

Pulled it and only a pint or so there also. Now off to parts store to get some Red Line. MT-90

Now I’m missing something but the manual says transmission and transfer case should hold 3-1/2 pints. Is that 3-1/2 pints each or total? I put 1 quart in each and none runs out fill hole, cant even feel any with little finger as dip stick. If it’s 3-1/2 pints each then I’m still short.

If 3-1/2 pints that’s 1.75 quarts to go in each box. Need advice.

My manual says 6 1/2 pints. That is total for transmission and transfer case. That is for a CJ-5 but I think that is same as what you have. There is a passage that lets oil flow from one to the other. I believe you add oil to the opening that is highest and stop when oil reaches the lower opening.

You need to fill them both to the bottom of the fill holes.

The thing to keep in mind is the 18 transfer case has a "balancing" lube system. The transmission gear case has an internal lube hole shared with the transfer case. The level in the transfer case is lower than the level in the transmission. As the transfer case gears rotate, they lift the lube up to the shared lube passage in the transmission. This sort of refills the transmission case. When the transfer case gears stop rotating, the lube drains back from the transmission to the transfer case. So if you drive it and it losses lube from the transfer case, the trans will keep filling it. The transmission will steal a lot of lube from the transfer case if it (the transmission) is leaking. It is a good idea to keep an eye on both levels.

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    My manual says 6 1/2 pints. That is total for transmission and transfer case. That is for a CJ-5 but I think that is same as what you have. There is a passage that lets oil flow from one to the other. I believe you add oil to the opening that is highest and stop when oil reaches the lower opening.
    Gotcha, i will get more oil today, and fill it up. That’s the way we always filled on the farm. Usually had a 5 gallon bucket and just fill till it runs out of the fill hole. Found my manual oil pump, that was a help. Thanks okiemark for your info.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    You need to fill them both to the bottom of the fill holes.

The thing to keep in mind is the 18 transfer case has a "balancing" lube system. The transmission gear case has an internal lube hole shared with the transfer case. The level in the transfer case is lower than the level in the transmission. As the transfer case gears rotate, they lift the lube up to the shared lube passage in the transmission. This sort of refills the transmission case. When the transfer case gears stop rotating, the lube drains back from the transmission to the transfer case. So if you drive it and it losses lube from the transfer case, the trans will keep filling it. The transmission will steal a lot of lube from the transfer case if it (the transmission) is leaking. It is a good idea to keep an eye on both levels.
    Thanks for that explanation, read about the equalizer holes but they didn’t explain it that way. Will get more oil today and fill it up.

Will get more oil today and fill it up.

If you only got a pint or so from each side, it was really low. Don't be surprised if it throws oil out of seals once you get it filled to the correct (tip of the pinky) level.By the way, tip of pinky is an good engineering measurement!