Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: intermittent knock, Please help!

Ya it's some old advice I got on how to test plug wires at home.

A chip on the insulator is not good. The smell of gas, also not good. I think you have it fixed now. "Eagle Eye TJones" is the man!

Needless to say we all await in great anticipation, the results of this! That was one loud and scary sounding knock.

Could you post a picture or two of the suspect plug?

Most plugs are damaged on installation. Besides the obvious "whoops" dropped it, pressure against the insulator while installing will crack it immediately. A chip is a solid indication of damage. In any event, you shouldn't install a spark plug with ANY visible damage to the insulator.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-17-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Ya sure, the small black marks are the chips.

Definitely not firing very hot on that plug. Those chips in the porcelain are kind of weird. I take it this is the only plug with these chips in the porcelain? Maybe a defect? Well can't wait to see if a new plug solves it.

It may even have a hair line crack in the porcelain close to the steel part that is letting it jump to ground.

ok so I put it back together and new plugs, still knocking. I took the clutch inspection plate off to listen for anything. I cant say that its a huge difference, but there is a change. What do you all think? Just looking at all possibilities. I recorded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srm-v2AkiaY

Edit: it still knocks when the clutch is pushed in.
    Last edited by monty509; 04-18-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Wow I thought we had it. What happens when you push in the clutch? Lets be sure it isn't the clutch. Depressing the clutch will also put a little thrust on the crank. Lets see if that changes anything. By the way what is the oil pressure?

It should at least be running better with all the plugs firing. It is so hard to tell over a YouTube video. I would eliminate okimark's suggestion on the fuel pump. Make sure it isn't coming from there. If it doesn't change with the clutch being depressed, I am thinking you should definitely run a compression test. You want to be sure the obvious things are checked off. It is sounding more and more like something internal is amiss.

monty509, I see it still knocks with the clutch depressed. I am thinking its internal. You have run the gambit on everything I can think of. Can you run a compression check? It is the last step before you need to start looking deeper.

Ya, I'll go rent one. What should the pressure be at? And I have no idea what the oil pressure is, a gauge has been on my "to-do list" but not really sure how to install one, never had to do it before.

You can get any type of mechanical gauge and use a hose. Grease gun hose is the right size and screw it into the block where the oil sender is.