Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M-38

M-38

Hi there .. I am a newbie but had questions about the m-38 that I finally dragged into the shop. It has been in the family for over 50 years and needs some serious attention . I specifically have questions about the motor as it was replaced in the 70s? I believe with a Buick V6. Not sure where to go with it as it does not run .

Welcome Buckweet, post some pictures of your M38. The direction to take your project, is as wide as your imagination. Take a look at this Jeep with a V6.

M38 pics

DCE982C6-A26F-4122-8D26-374A711E19C4.jpg540A7BC7-4BC7-4930-BA78-15BE78CAD0F4.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Welcome Buckweet, post some pictures of your M38. The direction to take your project, is as wide as your imagination. Take a look at this Jeep with a V6.
    I hope this helps. Thanks for the response. Ok I might be a little challenged on adding photos. I do have the tags off of it that helps. Also not the shifting. If I remember correctly it has a high/low and Overdrove.. so not sure if it is the original transmission.. probable not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also note* I am not proficient with typing on a phone!!

Oh man that thing is a great looking project! A considerable amount of it is still there and it is good shape. That should be a lot of fun that's for sure.

Welcome Buckweet...
    That’s a fine looking M38 you have to start with!!!!
    Let me know if you have any questions, I started with a 52 M38 with a Buick 225 V6 odd fire in it as well about 2.5 years ago.
    Don’t mean to discourage ya but I took my good ole time doing it, so if you have any questions don’t be afraid to ask as the other Wise Men say “there is no such thing as a dumb question” on here!!!
    Good times are coming your way !!
    Last edited by TJones; 04-20-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Oil oan

Thanks for the response. So I drained the oil ... except it was mostly water. Which I take as a bad sign. The engine fired about 6 years ago and was able to drive it briefly. Long story short it was in repair mode in a field when it rained with hood open and carb cover off. Am contemplating a rebuild if the engine I have . Can you still get parts for that V6?. Or is there way to tell what exactly it is as I don’t see any tags on it. Any thoughts on the transmission and if that is a standard mod? Any other options I am open too.

Oh my Buckweet that is not a good sign, I’m not sure where you live as far as winter months go but if it’s anything like NE Ohio the winter months get a little breezy and it could of easily froze and possibly cracked the block somewhere. As far as getting parts we need to figure out which Buick V6 you have and there are different locations of where the numbers are depending on which V6 you have, I’m assuming it’s either a 198ci or a 225ci, I will post the location to look for the numbers to tell which one you have and yes parts are still available for all.
    The transmission is probably a stock T-90 with a overdrive bolted to the transfer case, I have the same set up on mine.
    Last edited by TJones; 04-21-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Here you go Buckweet,
    Where to find the numbers to verify your casting # and which engine you have.
    I would be willing to bet that what you have is a 225CI Odd Fire V6, that is what I had in mine and I switched to a Even Fire 4.1 252CI.
    They are the same blocks (225,231, & 252 CI) they just have different bore and slightly different stroke in them.
    Also I have attached an article by Novak on the Buick V6

IMG_2096.jpg

https://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~ree...ernalSpecs.pdf

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...k/buick-90-v6/
    Last edited by TJones; 04-21-2020 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Whoops forgot the link, but you just met him! https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...w-to-the-Forum