Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: M-38

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    You might try using diesel to see if that will help loosen it up.
    50-50 diesel and DOT-3 brake fluid works well also.

A cocktail of diesel fuel, transmission fluid, P. B. Blaster, and pressure should get things freed up. Soak the cylinders, and use the 2X4 and a hammer to rap the pistons from time to time. If you can remove the crank shaft, that would help, but with a V6, you are bound to be not able to get to all the connecting rod caps.

The biggest thing to remember is that you don't want to get in a hurry.

WOW Buckweet you have been busy this weekend, everything that the guys are telling you is wisdom. Let them soak well with the cocktail mixture and like they said it will eventually break free.
    If it was full of antifreeze more than likely it didn’t crack the block anywhere, the water in the oil was probably what came in through the carburetor and settled in the oil pan when the hood was left open with no air cleaner on it.

Just in case you want more options to your build, here is a supply of L 134 engines going up for sale.

http://www.ewillys.com/2020/04/29/l-...n-tx/#comments

Cubic dollars! That's some funny.

Well I have been taking a diesel bath for a while now. I have 3 cylinders freed up and suspect I can get the others after a bit more coaxing. If I have success ,what tolerances would be acceptable on the cylinder walls. After cleaning and some honing one is at 3.630 inches. I know they are 3-5/8 bore and looks like a can get new rings for that engine. Can I hone more or will it be too much?

Buckweet, it will need to be re-bored and oversize pistons and rings installed. Your machine shop will be able to tell you how much oversize will be required to "clean it up".

Are there any rust pits you can't hone out?

A machine shop would be best to check the bore size for out of round and diameter. You'll have to have the pistons ordered per the size that the overbore was needed, along with rings. Cutting corners now would cost three fold in the long run.

Buckweet I’m with bmorgil and gmwillys on getting a machine shop to look at it, they will be able to tell you if the cylinders are egg shaped or if the block needs bored to clean up the cylinder walls. More importantly I would want the block cleaned in a hot tank of Muriatic Acid over night to clean out the oil journals for the cam and crankshaft and the water jackets as well if they plugged with gunk or rust your wasting your time and MONEY doing it without cleaning the block first.
    Last edited by TJones; 05-11-2020 at 04:59 AM.