Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M-38

TJones can tell you where NOT to go!!!!

Ok I am still learning about threads and posting. I think I missed the last one. Anyway looks like it is a 198 engine. Parts seem unavailable from what I read. The transmission might be an issue as it stated in the article that they did not use the T90 with Buick v6.. does that sound correct??

Buckweet if your dead set on rebuilding what you have we can find the parts you’ll need. My personal thoughts would be to try and find a good 231 CI even fire engine that would bolt right in what you have.
    As far as the transmission goes you need to crawl under your rig with a flashlight and on the drivers side of the Tranny there should be a number cast right into the case that will tell you which transmission you have, they do make adapters to bolt a Buick V6 to the standard T-90 3 speed that originally came in the M38’s.
    See attached picture for location
    So maybe we need to start there to see what options you really have.
    Keep us posted.

A7358267-2A04-4D80-A18D-2F2EACDB2C86.jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 04-22-2020 at 04:29 AM.

Sounds good. I would be looking for a 231 Replacement. I’ll check on the transmission this afternoon. I have been looking online for 231s and am defiantly out of my element there. Once I grasp the transmission model I would defiantly appreciate some knowledge on the correct engine.

We will get you headed in the right direction Buckweet, where are you located may we ask?
    It might be better if we know the general vicinity to locate what you are looking for or what else you may need to get it on the road again.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    We will get you headed in the right direction Buckweet, where are you located may we ask?
    It might be better if we know the general vicinity to locate what you are looking for or what else you may need to get it on the road again.
    Well Iam in a little state called Vermont...thus the rust... transmission is a T-90A-1. There is a tag below it that read 10-8-53..wasn’t sure what that means. Anyway I have learned more about this Jeep in the last few days then I did the last 30 years! So thanks again! If the transmission is acceptable what are motor options?

As bmorgil said earlier Buckweet, “your options are as wide as your imagination”
    The ball is in your court now Buddy, you can rebuild what you have if the block is not cracked from the water that was in it, we can look around for a 231 even fire motor, we can get a 231 built for ya, or we can even put it back to stock and put a 4 cylinder back in it that they originally had and 1 of the other Seniors would be able to tell us what that was, I’m thinking it was a L-134.

Your options are pretty much endless. The T-90 is more than adequate to handle up to a V-8 without issue. You have an overdrive already installed, so you'll be able to get a bit better top end speed out of it, so that will be a bonus.

I think we need to see if you need a pilots licenses to "fly" TJones's rocket ship, before you guy's stick a V8 in there gmwillys! A true hot roder you are, to plant that suggestion! Of course, I love it.

All true stuff from the Boy's on the powertrain Buckweet. It is strong enough to hold up under any modern naturally aspirated 1/2 ton pickup. The trans, transfer case and axles will have no issues. The factory driveshafts however, will have many issues. As built from the factory, it would be disastrous to put the existing driveshaft assemblies in a high speed L4/V6 or V8 application. Also when running an Overdrive, it will be imperative to pay attention to your driveshaft angles when you get it back together. Suffice it to say an Overdrive can greatly increase the driveshaft speed (RPM).

The "tag" you reference could be a build tag or, if it is cast into the case itself, it is the date the casting was poured. That would mean it was cast or built on November 8th of 1953. Lets see a picture of that.

There is no replacement for displacement.