Thread: 47 CJ2A Head replacement issues

Threaded View

47 CJ2A Head replacement issues

I purchased a 47 CJ2A last month. After driving I noticed it had moisture/Milky oil. I had a mechanic look at it and he stated the the PCV was removed and it needed it in order to vent the vapors. I installed new PCV Valve and new line . Changed the oil and filter. I ran the motor again and noticed the milky oil again. I was then advised the head gasket may be the issue. I removed the head and ordered new fel pro gasket. I had the head machine .004 and magnafluxed. Upon removing the head I discovered 3 over the head studs were replaced with Grade 8 1/2 by 20 by 3.5 bolts and not the standard 7/16. I ordered all new studs and installed the studs where they fit and replaced the grade 8 bolts. I had issues locating 1/2-20 head studs so I purchased new 1/2-20 grade 8 bolts. I reinstalled the head and torqued the head to specs. I fired the engine up and it had a little vapor coming from the exhaust but cleared up after it ran for 15 mins. The temp went to 180-190 then dropped back below 180 after the thermostat opened. No fluid in the oil. I shut the engine off and re torqued the head. I checked the fluids again. They all were good. I fired the engine back up and decided to drive it to the gas station . I made it about 1/2 a mile and noticed I had steam and oil spraying from somewhere in the engine bay. The engine stopped running. I was able to pull into a parking spot. I opened the hood and oil was everywhere. I have no idea where the oil is coming from. I tried to fire it back up and now the starter switch is not working, possibly covered in oil or has a short from the oil? The motor turns free when I manual turn the motor with a wrench. I am lost at this point. I may pay someone to redo the head, I am baffled. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images