Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 47 Willys Oil return line plugged

47 Willys Oil return line plugged

After fixinf the Mickey mouse oil return line, I went to install the line to the correct hole and learned the previous mechanics have inserted a brass plug with a flat style driver slot. I have no room to remove this, nor is there any room to drill this out. I have no idea how to remove this. The motor mount prevents a drill from being used , I used a small ratchet style wrench with flat bit and was not able to remove it. I sprayed it with free all and heated it slightly , any suggestions woudl be great. I am so close to having this running again. These are all the new parts thus far : Radiator, Water pump, oil lines, oil pressure indicator lines, Fuel gauge sending unit, Head machined, New valve cover gasket and new copper head gasket, New studs/Bolts, Thermostat, New fan, Belt, Spark plugs, new radiator lines, Multiple grade 8 bolts etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a right angle Dewalt drill that is a handy son of a gun sometimes, but I don't think I could get even that in that space.

Oil Line to Filter

AWhhh man.

And, in my nightmares I can see trying to get to that plug, getting a bit crossways and breaking off half of the slot ion that brittle brass.

Wild Idea 1: Pull the driver side fender to get access? A lot of work, but less work than pulling the engine to get to it. While the fender is off, you get easier access to the fuel pump ...

Wild Idea 2: In the attached picture you see the line that takes oil to the rocker arm on the F-134. There is an oil port just above the oil sensor hole. Does the L-134 block have a port there? You could use that as a supply line to the filter.

Wild Idea 3: Bad idea, but the oil filter is a partial flow filter, better than no filter but it still isn't that great of a filter. Just change oil every 3K miles or every year - which ever comes first.

Question to the group: Is there another plug on that block we don't use that gives access to an oil gallery
    Attached Images Attached Images

The key here is to grab the pressurized oil and send it to the top of the filter. The port that plug is in, is in the front of the main oil galley, the best place to get it right after the pump picks it up. That said, it could go on the other end of the oil galley where the oil pressure gauge port is. okiemark has the right thought. A right angle small chuck drill should work. I have a Milwaukee also, however I have a cheap Harbor Freight right angle air drill that is very small. You may need to shorten a drill bit. I have also used a cable drive Dremmell in very tight spots. I hope you can get it out, it would be nice to "un-hack that".

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-ei...ill-67474.html
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-20-2020 at 08:05 AM.

You know, I might be able to get in there with a cut off bit. It is hard to tell from the photo, but that is worth a look. If you could get a hole in it, an EZ out might bring it out.

Just bring some Band-Aids, send the wife shopping and run the grandkids out of the garage. It ain't gonna be fun!

There is just enough of the plug sticking out to clamp a good pair of Vise Grips on. Looks like you may have tried that once, but you might get lucky. If that fails, a chisel, hammer and some patience to tap the edge and create a notch to turn the fitting out.

Hopefully they used some good sealant that would keep it from seizing.

I was able to remove it with finger drill and heat. Oddly enough only took about a hour. I have it running now. However after the engine warms up , it seems to load up/flood when accelerator pedal is pressed , i then have to feather the accelerator in attempt to keep it running? I hope this makes sense. I think the carb needs a rebuild? Temp is good , not overheating.

That's how it is now. They had a mess. I would like to post a image. I cannot upload in forum?