Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel gauge or sender.

Yes, I bought a new speedometer and gauge cluster. I wired it like it showed. There is a jumper that goes from the fuel gauge to the temp gauge that supplies 12 volts. It already had an electronic sender. I can run a jumper from the sender side to ground and the gauge doesn't move, but then if I tap on it some, it will move up to about 1/4 so it seems to be stuck. Unhook the jumper and tap and it will go back to low. Another thing that happened was that I was hooking up my lights and trying to get that all straightened out and noticed when I had the lights on the fuel gauge would work better. The battery was a little low and it was getting under 12 volts with the lights on, so I'm thinking the problem with the fuel gauge is too much voltage.

This is getting deep. It's a good thing LarrBeard and gmwillys are on board. The "switching this on affects that", reminds me of hunting for bad grounds.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-22-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Funky Temp Gauge, too!

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    Yes, I bought a new speedometer and gauge cluster. I wired it like it showed. There is a jumper that goes from the fuel gauge to the temp gauge that supplies 12 volts. It already had an electronic sender. I can run a jumper from the sender side to ground and the gauge doesn't move, but then if I tap on it some, it will move up to about 1/4 so it seems to be stuck. Unhook the jumper and tap and it will go back to low. Another thing that happened was that I was hooking up my lights and trying to get that all straightened out and noticed when I had the lights on the fuel gauge would work better. The battery was a little low and it was getting under 12 volts with the lights on, so I'm thinking the problem with the fuel gauge is too much voltage.
    I'm working with too many Jeeps here. I had you with a CJ-2A yesterday. Your temp gauge is indeed an electrical gauge.

Ask Mike if your cluster needs a voltage reducer to work on a 12-volt system. I am still suspicious of "works on 6 and 12-volt systems"

Can I piggyback on this thread?
    1962 M38A1 24V. When purchased, ignition on, fuel tank pegged full independent of gas level. Found fuel sender broken (float off of sender shaft). Replaced with Kaiser Willys 24V fuel sender. Also checked wire from gauge to sender (continuity good and about 8V with ignition on). With ignition on, gauge reads 1/8th to 1/4th with known full tank. Replaced gauge with Kaiser Willys 24V gauge... same results. I'm at a loss. Help!

"..Can I piggyback on this thread?.."

Sure, we're not really picky, just tag along here.

It's a bit of a pain, but the surest way to isolate this problem is to pull the sender out of the tank. Use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance from the "hot" contact to the case. At full it should measure pretty close to zero ohms and at empty up around 70 ohms. That verifies that the sender works.

Hook the sender to the gauge and ground the case. Swing the float up and down. The gauge should run from E to F. You've verified that electrically everything is working.

If everythihg works up here, you have an issue with float travel and I ccan't remember to save my neck which way to go. Bend the float arm down and put the sender in a full tank. If it reads higher, you're going the right way, keep bending until a full tank reads full. If that was the wrong way, bend it back the other way and see what happens. It's not an exact science and sometimes you have to decide if you want E to be really dead empty, or Full to be running over full.

Also make sure all grounds are good.

M38A1 Fuel tank sender issue

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    Also make sure all grounds are good.
    Sounds like a plan. I ran the ohmmeter with the sender still in the tank and got 37.9. Hate to take out the sender yet again but then it isn't doing me any good mounted so why not.