Thread: Memorial Day 2020

Memorial Day 2020

It is a strange time we find ourselves in this year.

The whole concept of Memorial Day seems to have joined the strangeness when Boy Scouts, The American Legion and The Veterans of Foreign Wars and other organizations are not being allowed to place flags on Veterans' graves this year.

But - even though those flags are not being placed - remember that Memorial Day is a day when we take time to remember the many thousands of American Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen, and Coast Guardsmen who put their duty to their country first and in that doing that duty gave their lives to protect what we have now.

It is these men and women who gave that last full measure of themselves that we remember this weekend.

May we never forget them and what they gave for us.

Can we get a big AMEN for that sermon????

I was woke up at 4:30 by the dogs barking and our neighbor went around the whole allotment on her bike putting little flags on everyone’s mailboxes, I thought there is the meaning of Memorial Day!!!

Some people can’t or won’t get out so she took it upon herself to do it!
    Last edited by TJones; 05-23-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Hear! Hear!

Looked it up to be sure...

The proper protocol for flying the American Flag on Memorial Day slightly differs from other occasions when flags are flown at half-staff. On Memorial Day, flags are quickly raised to full-staff position and then slowly lowered to half-staff, where they remain from sunrise until noon to honor the dead servicemen and women of this country. At noon, sharply to full staff until sunset.

We are lucky here. Things are pretty much normal except a few people wearing masks. I think there are so many today who don't know what sacrifice is, whether it is economic sacrifice or giving of a life in defense of their country. I was fortunate that my dad and my brother both served and lived to tell about it. A cousin who went to Viet Nam didn't make it back alive. My 3rd and 4th grade teacher's son was killed in Viet Nam. I came along right at the end of the Viet Nam era and didn't join the military. I felt fortunate that others made it possible that I didn't have to. I know Memorial Day is really set aside for those who have given their lives, but I still want to give a big thanks to the guys on here who I know have served their time and could have easily not made it back.