Thread: Newbie with the '63 pickup

Threaded View

Newbie with the '63 pickup

Hello Everyone, I am hoping to use your expertise as I am not a gear head despite owning and trying to work on this new toy of mine. At every turn it seems to throw me a surprise curve ball, so for now I am hoping for assistance/advice on the following questions. Current back story is the brakes are working pretty good, but the parking brake is completely disconnected. In trying to determine why and if/how to address this (and also check the status on the current brakes) I was planning on encountering the infamous rear drums that need a puller to get off, and ordered the complete brake overall kit. I was pretty surprised when I took off the back tire and the drum just slide off with ease. Then I noticed the brake parts I was supplied with did not match what was on the truck. Upon further inspection, the front 4 wheel drive hubs also seem to have been switched/out upgraded. I also have a few other questions - so any and all advice, recommendations, knowledge about what I have, what to do about it, etc is greatly appreciated. Here are the current questions with starter pics posted:

1. The back brakes, is this just a newer model brake setup? a brake upgrade? How would I get new parts when they are needed?
    2. Any knowledge about the front hubs like where they came from, what parts or instructions to follow if I do need to get inside for those brakes?
    3. The parking brake front cable is literally just hanging out under the truck - is there a mounting spot or something it attaches to before the heavy duty swing plate that pulls on the back cable going to the back brakes?
    4. In trying to get the passenger door to release easier, I took the insides apart - found them to be in pretty good working order, greased up the locking mechanism and put it all back. I managed to get the inner handle working MUCH better and the door releases much better - problem is that now the inner catch inside the outside door handle broke off. While I am waiting for the replacement to show up - any tips on how to get that part replaced? The only hint I found so far is something about a release pin inside that handle but I don't see anything yet?

again - any and all of your expertise is greatly appreciated =)
    Attached Images Attached Images