Thread: Spring on shift lever

Spring on shift lever

Has anybody ever had an issue with a Dana 18 jumping out of two wheel drive high. I bought a 65 V6 and there is a spring attached to the floorboard to the shifter for 2 wheel drive 4 wheel drive that is so strong I can't pull it out of two wheel drive into neutral it just pulls it back into 2-wheel drive. PS there's no engine in it right now so I can't test it

Hello Jerry! i love the spring. A real bad idea. It will constantly load the shift collar wearing the fork and the collar and heating up. I am going to say there is a broken pocket (shift detent) spring. A fairly common occurrence. In any event I would definitely get rid of the spring and take a look at the transfer case shift cover assembly. I am thinking it would be a good time to go through that transfer case.

I agree with Bmorgil, the detent is probably stuck or missing. Willys owners usually have one of two problems with the transfer case, either the detent isn't engaging, and a spring or bungy cord is holding it in place, or the levers won't move because of rust and crud on the shift rail. The second often comes with a hole knocked in the body where a pry bar is used to help persuade the sifter to move. Either way, it would be in your best interest to dig in and fix the transfer case, in order to minimize the amount of wear parts that would need to be replaced later on.