Thread: Stuck in Reverse

Stuck in Reverse

This explains why I couldn't shift out of Reverse.
    Busted trans linkage.
    Fix:
    Ordered new 19/64 O.D steel rod off Amazon. Will bend to shape, thread the end and replace.

15934675021236399197854032343034.jpg

Wow now that's a strange one!

Adapt, Improvise and Overcome - The Jeep Way!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDo40 View Post
    Fix:
    Ordered new 19/64 O.D steel rod off Amazon. Will bend to shape, thread the end and replace. ]
    Good Fix. Now on to the next one...

I could see it on a Muncie four speed, but not so much on a three on the tree. Must of gotten in a bind or the steel had a stress fracture from when it was threaded.

Surprised the heck out of me too. Didn't know my own strength.

I had bought a '67 International 3/4 ton pickup with the three speed on the column. You could take the shifter and make a big circle with it, and never catch a gear. It was that worn out. Some weld here and there and some bronze bushing stock, it was operational, somewhat. Just needed the transmission gone through.

Wow. You think your shifting did that? Amazing.

The funny part of the story is that I had just taken it out for a long road test. Drove all sorts of country roads,relatively flat farm area. Was driving great for more than 20 - 25 minutes. Pulled into my garage, a little too deep so I shifted in Reverse and backed up a little too much. Thats when I got stuck in Reverse. What I thought was a busted cotter pin holding the rod into its knuckle on the column turned out to be the broken rod.
    Based on gmwillys comment I have a foggy memory of having to straighten this same rod in the vice a while ago. I think it was pretty torqued up and when I straightened must have weakened it.