Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham's '48: Independence Day 2020

Ham's '48: Independence Day 2020

The little town of New Haven, Indiana decided that it was time to have a celebration instead of just hunkering down to try to outsmart the Corona virus. Indiana had decided that by Independence Day, life should be allowed to go back to almost normal; so New Haven planned an Independence Day Parade, subject to any last minute change in the Governor’s orders. A few last minute changes were issued, but the parade was a GO!

Among others, our 2020 High School Seniors had their graduation ceremonies cancelled, modified and rescheduled - then modified again. My grandson and his girlfriend were part of the Class of 2020 who had been jerked around and we decided that we would take advantage of the Independence Day Parade to recognize our two special Seniors.

So, I took their personalized yard signs (provided by the school system), made some frames for the stake pockets on Ham’s ’48 and made the truck into a float for the parade. It turned out a lot better than I had expected – but the real high point was two young adults taking applause and congratulations all along the parade route.

Now this was a typical small town parade except this year we didn’t have the High School Band – social distancing and no school for 4 months. But, the Summit City Wheeler Jeep Club signed up for the event and there were about 50 some-odd Jeeps there for the parade. Now, it wasn’t a Toledo JeepFest parade, but 50 Jeeps showing up at one time does draw a lot of attention. Although we get used to seeing several hundred/thousand Jeeps at JeepFest, most folks think 50 at one time is a lot. My son-in-law commented, “Those Jeeps behind you just kept on coming and coming and coming!”

There was some shuffling of the parade order at the last minute and I realized that the organizers had put me and my two Seniors at the head of the Jeep contingent. The Senior Truck (so called both by having the Graduates on board as well as being the oldest Jeep there) got to lead up the Jeep section! As I headed the group down Broadway in New Haven, I felt like the pace car at Bristol – those younger Jeeps were just rarin’ to go, but they all behaved well.

It was a very nice day. There was a good crowd who really applauded the kids and gave them the recognition that fate has denied them this year.

Now – That’s what old trucks are for!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 07-05-2020 at 12:48 PM.

That looks like a great time. Those kids will never forget that. Perfect for that beautiful Jeep.

American leadership on parade! God do we need it, we love it, we must have it. It is good to see our bright future assured! Here in a big metro we had people at home, so the fireworks were from family yards, streets, parking lots. Big ones though, whistlers, peony, fountains, brightened the sky in all directions. Where I live you'll see all kinds of people. What a relief to see fireworks and hear the sounds of celebration from the spectrum of who we are, and who we can be, rowdy, ready, and free. PS. You have two different tire types, both cooler than anything modern, bonus points, great Kaiser-willys Jeep truck.

This has been a weird year here. Around first of June weather changed abruptly to summer with high winds to go with it. We had a rash of fires, mostly harvest equipment starting them. For the time being we are under a burn ban, so no fireworks.

Great to see you at the head of the Jeeps! Your Grandson and his girlfriend have good tastes in riding with you and Ham's '48. One question that bothered me when looking through the pictures.... Who stole your gas cap???

I noticed that too. Thought maybe I was seeing things.

Very nice Larry !!!
    You should be Proud!

I LOVE A PARADE!! Nice Larry, super day for sure.

I'll bet there aren't a lot of Willys running around with that Jeep Fest flag! Nice badge there, to think Ham's '48 looks even better then when it was on display in the Arena.

How can there be no gas cap?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-06-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Independence Day Parade

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I LOVE A PARADE!! Nice Larry, super day for sure.

I'll bet there aren't a lot of Willys running around with that Jeep Fest flag! Nice badge there, to think Ham's '48 looks even better then when it was on display in the Arena.

How can there be no gas cap?
    Sharp eyes!

I had stopped for gas on the way and someone had asked me about the truck as I was putting $5/gas in. I was running a little late and I just forgot to put it back on - it was in my pocket.

Gas pump nozzles don't have magnets on the back of them to hold gas caps these days.

That was good then. I would have left it on the fender then drove off. The little Heeps are nice, the gas cap sits on the seat while filling up. And if you do forget to put it on, the first hard right turn will remind you of what you forgot.