Thread: Fuel gauge.

Threaded View

@@#%%!! Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    Well, first of all I can eliminate rust. Everything is brand new. Body, wiring, gauges, everything. It has a 12 volt alternator with internal regulator. I have a ground cable that goes from engine to frame. I also have a ground that goes from the back of the speedometer cluster to the body. Everywhere I check I get a good ground. I will look to see if I can find that "sardine can" in the old dash. The diagram shows a "12 volt" wire directly from the battery to the back of the fuel gauge and that jumps over to the temp gauge. This thing does read about 14 volts when it is running, maybe that is an issue.
    Here is a sketch of some things I found this morning.

If you can't read it, drop me a PM with your email address and I can attach a much better picture than I can post here.

14 volts is great - a sign of a healthy system charging the battery.

In my diagram, there is a 12 volt wire to the fuel gauge, but a separate wire jumpered over to the Temp gauge (6-volts or so to Temp) - the so-called third terminal.

None of us had considered a pinched wire to the fuel sender yet. I have punched wires with metal screws, clamped them between metal edges and made just about every uh-oh in the book.
    Attached Images Attached Images