Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

New to the Forum

I am presently heading into my 69th year, when I was 10 years old My Grandfather passed away leaving me his 1948 Willys CJ2-A, I learned to drive with that jeep and at one time was the only one that knew all the little items one must know to keep it running. As time went on priorities changed, Military life, marriage, kids and all the things that come along with a growing family the old CJ sort of got put away but not forgotten. Now at this point in my life I am getting caught up with the priorities and happened to open up the shed door where the old girl presides and upon looking at her in her present state and with the memories flooding back to the days when me and the old girl were as one. It is time that she was resurrected. Approximately 20 years ago I restored the power train, the brakes are dried out and leaking again, since it was my plan to pass her down to my son I think it is time that we both did the job while I am still around to teach him what I know and remember about all the intricacies, of the vintage machine, so that some day he will pass it on to his son. I stumbled onto this site while looking for parts and think I hit the goldmine, so me and the boy can accomplish this task. Looking forward to working with other members on this site to share the knowledge I have and learn about the things I don't know and may need some advice on.

Ken

You've waited a long time; Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by XSNIPER View Post
    I am presently heading into my 69th year .../, Ken
    Ah heck, you're still a kid in this bunch.

I have been driving my Dad's truck since I was 12-years old, about 63 years. But - it sat in a barn for 35-years and it came time to either sell it for scrap and give the barn owner the proceeds for storing it all that time, or do something with it.

Luckily I was able to take the second choice.

Welcome to the group. Ask anything - there is really no stupid question around here. Feel free to confess your mistakes, we learn from one another and although we may snicker - we just didn't get caught.

We make fun of ourselves, we brag about our Jeeps. We cuss at our Jeeps, we tell Sea Stories about things not really related to Jeeps ("There was this one time ...".)

But you need to really understand the Two Rules of Jeep going in:

Rule 1: What you see is what you have. Believe nothing that is written or told to you about your Jeep until you verify it with your own eyes.

Rule 2: Never say "Willys-Overland would never have ____________________." Fill in the blank with whatever weird thing you find. W-O never threw away anything but records of what they used to build Jeeps.

Oh yes, there is one small entry fee to the Forum - you need to post a picture of your Jeep.

Oh by the way - the truck is a '48 2WD, so we can both go into the '48 Club
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 07-06-2020 at 05:47 PM.

You found the right place. My wife and I bought a Jeep around September just to mess around in and I started tinkering and it turned into a full blown restore and like you, I stumbled onto this site where I have learned a ton of good information, a lot of it helped me, but a lot of just interesting knowledge and seeing what other people are doing.

We are the "Friendly" Willys web site! So your forum name raises an eye brow. If it means what I think it means... have you read up on pelago? He has a nice M38A1 and some great reading that's for certain.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...n-thing-is-out

Welcome XSNIPER
    The leaders on here are a Wealth of Knowledge and like LarrBeard said there is No Such Thing as a stupid question!!!
    There is one thing we need is pictures for sure!!
    Enjoy your journey mine has been 3.5 years and I finally got to chirp the tires on Saturday the 4th

Welcome Xsniper!

Thank you for your service! We are proud to have you with us here. As the rest of the group has already said, we are here for whatever you may need. We have a deverse and devoted group that often times will put our collective minds together to figure out any issue. Bmorgil is our resident Dr. DANA, so he knows the drive lines like no other. LarrBeard is our Naval Senior Chief and is our go to electrical wizard and general genius on how things are supposed to work. Pelagro is our elusive Marine veteran who along with his M38a1 Magoo is one of the most viewed threads on here. Okiemark is our source of farmer's logic, and has come along way on his CJ5 project in a short amount of time. Last but not least TJones is finishing up his M38, which will be a head turner every time it leaves the driveway!
    Please feel free to ask anything at all, we will be happy to help!

Welcome to the Group

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Welcome Xsniper!

We have a deverse and devoted group that often times will put our collective minds together to figure out any issue.!
    After all of the introduction of characters. GMWillys left off his area of expertise; former dirt track racer, demo derby driver, welder, sheet metal and frame rebuilding craftsman, overall expert on "heeps" large and small and - if your M1 Abrams tank has a problem -"He knows this guy down in Alabama ...:.

If your M1 Abrams tank has a problem -"He knows this guy down in Alabama ...:.[/QUOTE]

And with out a DOUBT I am sure GM does in deed know someone that either has one or can fix one......Truth be known it is HIMSELF!!!

I can't wait till gm restores a Tank! I am thinking it will happen soon.

I'd have to buy a bigger rust ranch. A radial engine Sherman would be fun to play with, though.

I couldn't afford to start the turbine engine on an Abrams. Eight gallons of JP8 just to get the thing to spin to combat idle. Fun bit of worthless knowledge, they detune the turbines down to 1,500 HP/ 2,600 lbs.-ft. of torque to prevent from the output shafts from blowing apart when dropped into gear when not in idle. These are annoying to listen to all day with their high pitch shrill. The best ones are the M-60 AVLB, M-88 Continental V-12 1790 air cooled diesels. They will make the building vibrate when running. Then you have the 6V and 8V Detroit diesels in the M113, Paladin, Ammo handlers, ACE, and aggressor OSV tanks.