Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Cj5 owner

Those photos bring back memories. Maybe a couple of bad dreams.

Man WW that thing is in good shape. You are just looking at surface rust there. I dont see any true "rot". A good bit of elbow grease and everything frame and all, looks like it might just clean up. You have a real gem there.

If you would like some advice on what to use to clean up the undercarriage, try some of these brushes; https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-8...abrasive+wheel

That is all I use to remove paint and surface rust. Although I do dig the look of the patina of your 5's body paint. If it were mine, I would clear coat it over the existing paint, and leave it with the hard earned look that it has. Just a thought, because they are only original once. The pictures below are of a couple of the projects that I've used the nylon brushes on. The 2A had six layers of paint to include one layer of yellow latex house paint. I couldn't salvage the original Normandy blue because the body had been repaired too many times, and in some places the blue was too thin. The body wasn't as bad as I thought it was, so I've left it the bare metal look for the time being.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love that original Willys 4 Wheel Drive sticker on the tailgate!

gm you cleaned that stuff up for sure. You and your Patina! My boy loves it too.

The four wheel drive is painted on. KW has the stencil.

What can I say, I like rough around the edges.. And the top... And underneath. Patina tells a story without saying a word. A lot of these custom shops replicate the look with paint effects, but the soul isn't there. Some folks love Ginger , some love Mary Anne.

I agree, the back of that Jeep is remarkable.

We plan to keep the patina, I quite like it and I don't have to worry about scratching the paint or rock chips or anything like that. I am considering using some sort of paint over rust type paint on the frame though, since the suspension will be all new and black as well.

Update: I tested all ignition components and ended up cleaning the points and it has spark now! Poured a little gas down the carb and it barked to life for a brief moment. I’m going to do an oil change and filter change before going any further. I also may hook up an oil pressure gauge rather than the idiot light it currently has. No one around me seems to have a filter so I’ll have to order it and hurry up and wait. In the mean time does anyone know what all of the knobs on the dash do? I found the light switch but everything else doesn’t have a label and doesn’t seem to do anything. And does anyone know what these brackets are for the top? It looks like later cj5/7 top brackets over some home made pole carrier thing? I’m not sure what it is.
    5D951C70-11D3-4864-85C9-EA179B35DBE9.jpg
    F4CE4FC9-D0BE-46DC-A299-F7C12F4143D4.jpg
    D1AEF848-7394-4D3E-8D87-070EA9777C3A.jpg
    CD3A12A9-E5B0-4FDC-A2A0-A95F9C62F917.jpg

Is that an oil gauge by the passenger's left knee?

And the tool box actually has a bottom in it! Unheard of....

What are these knobs?

[QUOTE=WetWillysCJ5;13148]In the mean time does anyone know what all of the knobs on the dash do? /QUOTE]

I thought that was a pretty simple question until I asked Mr/Mrs Google - and just about every picture has a different dash layout. Some of them look more like airplanes than Jeeps!

All I can say is that the one that goes to the cable on the carburetor is the choke. Duh.

Here is a bit of advice from an old coot who has been working on Jeeps since he was your age - and that's well over 50 years.

Go ahead and buy the book. Real men really do read the book - at least after they break something really hard to find by doing something stupid. I have several of those t-shirts.

This first book is a gotta have:

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...-cj-2a-3a-3b-5

I have this one for the '48 truck and it has helped out a lot several times - especially when you try to figure just which end goes where:

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...h-4-134-engine

At least it barked at you and I commend you on waiting for new oil before you try to start it. You could put 50K miles on it in just a few minutes with a sump full of filthy oil, dust and grass.

Be just as patient with the rear end, tranny and transfer case. Lube in them is just as dirty, if not more so, that the engine.