Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New CJ 2A owner

New CJ 2A owner

Just brought home a new to me 1946 CJ2A last night.

My daughters and I got to ride in our local Independence Day parade last year, with a friend that has a 1950. Ever since they have been “nagging” me that we should have one as well. My youngest, soon to be 13, has expressed interest in helping with the work.

I had a cj7 when in the ‘90s when in high school and have had a thing for Jeeps since.

As for this one just need to get spark back, safety check it, enjoy for the summer and plan for the winter projects.

EDBA74BD-0741-4BCD-933F-BF1A946DA35F.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

A nice find there for sure! I was in the 2nd huge Toledo Jeep Fest parade with my son in his big green crawler known as "Frahnkensteen", I was hooked. Went out and bought a 1950 and got started. I had it finished in time for the next years Jeep Fest parade, running it in that parade the following year. I can tell you for me it was fantastic! Introducing youth to mechanical things sometimes grows things you would not believe! The boy has more projects than I can count on two hands. I show up for local parades and what not when the weather is good. What a blast.

This might be a silly question, but was wondering on how to determine if the electrical system had been, actually converted to 12 volt. Previous owner gave some rather vague info on why no spark, 12 volt conversion with 6volt generator still there, don’t think he actually knew the answer.

Thanks

No silly questions exist. If it has been converted it will have a 12 Volt battery. If all is working you should read 13 to 14 volts accrost the battery posts. Once you get it fired up.

That being said it is possible to run it in 12 volts with the "original" generator. There are a few posts in here about this. Search for "Larrbeard" he has written a lot about this subject as have others. Basically you charge the battery by providing a regulated voltage to it. A generator puts out a lot of voltage. By "regulating" it down to the correct voltage you provide the current to charge. The original generator can and has been used successfully to charge 12 volt batteries with a 12 volt regulator. It does not provide the charging capability of a modern "Alternator" however. Take pictures of what you have. I don't see the direct relationship to no spark. In your Jeep finding out why there is no spark won't take long. Let us know if it gives you any trouble!

As far as diagnosing "no spark" start at the coil, look for voltage on the positive terminal with the key on. The coil should say 12 volts right on it if it is a 12 volt system. One thing that happens quite frequently, people leave the key in the "on" position. On a modern car no problem, on a classic with points, big problem. If the points are closed and the key is on it burns the points and can overheat the coil. This leads to "no spark". See if you have voltage at the positive of the coil with the key on. If you have the correct voltage the points become suspect. The correct voltage at the coil will vary slightly depending on what coil is actually in there, and how it was wired. Some 12 volt coils require a ballast resistor to reduce the voltage slightly while running. If the coil needs a Ballast Resistor it will usually say so on the coil. Look for about 5 or 6 volts or 11 to 12 volts with the key on.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-08-2020 at 08:19 AM.

You got a nice find there! This is the place to go if you need help or advise.

Thanks for the info! Will start looking this afternoon...this pesky work thing gets in the way of enjoying the new project!!

Thank God you are working my man! Things are getting shaky in this COVID environment.

So I’ve ordered a tune up parts. Plugs, wires,cap,rotor, points, etc. in between all the rain we’ve been getting I snuck out to do a little investigating. I pulled the coil to check on 12v and it is (see attached pic). And then what I assume is the Correct 12v voltage regulator (see attached pic), which has no markings. The old coil has “use” instructions on it. If there were a resistor somewhere being used, where in the “line” would I find it. The new coil says use without external resistor. Can anyone instruct on how to confirm that it is indeed the voltage regulator for a 12v system.
    1BCE2AA4-D081-4FFC-AD97-AC1B168A5B1C.jpg
    CA711C89-66E0-4444-9730-64A750FEE5E2.jpg

The resistor would be somewhere in the wire that goes from the switch to the coil positive side. Look for it to be mounted on the firewall behind the motor. It might have been eliminated. It should say 12 volt somewhere on that regulator.

Ballast resistor

A. It should look something like the attached picture.

B. The "12V" on the voltage regulator could have been on a label or just a stamp that got lost long ago. For the mean time, I'd assume it is a 12-volt regulator until you see battery charging issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images