Thread: Help determining if my jeep willys is a Filipino copy or an original (shell)

Threaded View

Help determining if my jeep willys is a Filipino copy or an original (shell)

Hi Guys,

I bought what looks like a Jeep Wills that has been converted to run on Toyota (Delta Motors) parts in The Philippines (PH). When I bought it I was told the previous owner (who is a very old guy who owns four medium sized office buildings in the main city) imported the shell and had the chassis and drivechain made here.

Now this sounds like a story except that here in PH a lot of old Jeeps were imported here just for that reason due to the overwhelming popularity of the Jeeps here after the war (they were the only cars left and a status symbol as only US officers and the very wealthy originally had access to them. They continued to be popular here into the 70's and later as local made versions were made cheaply and thus very popular - still today you see the stretch "Jeepneys" serving as public transport and companies like this one still make parts and complete replica shells https://www.mdjuan.com.ph/

I was talking to a guy who imported some Jeeps from Japan recently and he said there was a law that you had to remove the original chassis now (don't know why) and get one built locally, maybe I misunderstood the reasons but he was replacing the chassis, possibly to make it a left hand side drive as it's currently right hand). I do not know how to check if this is true or how long it has been in place. I'll be asking at the registration office when my car registration comes up.

So after looking through this site at all the models and members photos I've come to the conclusion that my shell is either a DJ-3A or a local made copy and I'd like to ask some help in figuring out which it is.

I've come to the DJ-3A (or copy) conclusion thus far as it has the same grill as the M38/CJ-3A/DJ-3A has the same single pane windscreen and the square pipe windscreen supports as well as the central air vent below the windscreen. However I do not have a drivers side gasoline intake, mine is a tank fitted underneath the car at the back and there do not seem to be signs of welding on the drivers side. The rear has a swing door as well for ease of access/loading though this was a popular modification for Jeeps here when used as family cars. As a side note my car is legally registered to carry up to five people, even though it only has the two seats. The hood is not original and I was told that when I bought it.

The registration papers I have date back to 1983 in it's current configuration.

Could anyone tell me what I might be able to look for or photos I could provide to try to figure out if this really was a willys or just a nice looking local copy?

Any help would be appreciated, thankyou in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FilipinoWillys; 07-12-2020 at 03:15 AM.