Thread: Ham's 48: You're Never "Done Done"

Threaded View

Ham's 48: You're Never "Done Done"

Well, as with most Jeep restoration projects, I know that the restoration of Ham’s ’48 will never be “done done”, but I think I am a stopping place for now.

It took two trips to Butch’s Body Shop to get all of the little paint issues settled (I admit I was being picky), but I think the truck looks amazing. He did a great job on it.

You might wonder why I had it repainted? If you look at the picture with the kids in the back, you can see that the top of the cab is a bit different color than the doors – and there are differences elsewhere. But, there was a bigger reason; the paint was coming off. The picture of a sheet of paper with something on it is a chunk of paint that came off the truck when Butch hit it with a power washer. It took very little sanding to strip off the old paint.

There is usually a list of little things that need to be fixed after a while – or things that you overlook the first time around. The speedometer works now. The drifty oil sender is fixed. I found a plug for the hole in the dash where the right hand drive ignition switch would have been mounted. As personal touches, I have a “New” 1975 Indiana inspection sticker to show that I am OK to be on the road. (It is as obnoxious now as it was 45-years ago, but I wanted it to show when the truck went to the barn.) And, I have my Magnavox parking stickers to let me park in the Engineering or Factory lots and not get ticketed by the rent-a-cops! These draw a lot of comments at car shows from people who say “Did you know ??. He worked at Magnavox.”

And, there is a Mizpah Shrine car show this weekend at one of the city parks – lots of room to spread out and I know just the tree I want to be under for shade!

Now, if I can just get the horn button in the steering wheel to work – there is always just one more thing to work on…
    Attached Images Attached Images