Thread: Ham's 48: You're Never "Done Done"

Ham's 48: You're Never "Done Done"

Well, as with most Jeep restoration projects, I know that the restoration of Ham’s ’48 will never be “done done”, but I think I am a stopping place for now.

It took two trips to Butch’s Body Shop to get all of the little paint issues settled (I admit I was being picky), but I think the truck looks amazing. He did a great job on it.

You might wonder why I had it repainted? If you look at the picture with the kids in the back, you can see that the top of the cab is a bit different color than the doors – and there are differences elsewhere. But, there was a bigger reason; the paint was coming off. The picture of a sheet of paper with something on it is a chunk of paint that came off the truck when Butch hit it with a power washer. It took very little sanding to strip off the old paint.

There is usually a list of little things that need to be fixed after a while – or things that you overlook the first time around. The speedometer works now. The drifty oil sender is fixed. I found a plug for the hole in the dash where the right hand drive ignition switch would have been mounted. As personal touches, I have a “New” 1975 Indiana inspection sticker to show that I am OK to be on the road. (It is as obnoxious now as it was 45-years ago, but I wanted it to show when the truck went to the barn.) And, I have my Magnavox parking stickers to let me park in the Engineering or Factory lots and not get ticketed by the rent-a-cops! These draw a lot of comments at car shows from people who say “Did you know ??. He worked at Magnavox.”

And, there is a Mizpah Shrine car show this weekend at one of the city parks – lots of room to spread out and I know just the tree I want to be under for shade!

Now, if I can just get the horn button in the steering wheel to work – there is always just one more thing to work on…
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is beautiful. You did a great job on that.

Amazing job on it. Definitely agree it's one beautiful example. And it works..

Damn Larry it looks like the temp gauge is buried on 212!!!

Buried at Boilin"

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    Damn Larry it looks like the temp gauge is buried on 212!!!
    That's what BMorgil's gauge looked like during the Jeep Fest parade last year! Yep - it's one hot momma even when it's sitting still.

What you are seeing is one of the "quirks" of the early trucks, wagons and sedan deliveries. The Stewart-Warner temp gauge is a bi-metal gauge (first cousin to a metal spring thermometer) and when cold, ignition off, all the innards are cold and it settles at what would normally be the "cold" position - full downscale. BUT - the temp gauge is mounted upside down in the cluster and the scale is just reversed. With the ignition OFF, it runs up to full scale. Turn on the ignition and it slooooowly crawls over to the left hand side and as she warms up, it moves upscale.

Modern temperature sensors are meant to work with the right-side-up gauges and they read bass-ackwards with the early clusters. That's why Mike has an adapter for the old gauges.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/tempera...th-4-134-motor

The fuel and oil gauges are mounted right side up, so they crawl slooooowly upscale to their correct readings. It's always a thrill to see no oil pressure at start up and having to wait what seems like a minute or so to see oil pressure move up to where it should be. During that eternity, you listen for expensive clunking noises from the engine.

You drive an old truck with all your senses. You listen for strange noises. You sniff for strange smells. You feel new vibrations and you look for things dripping, steaming, smoking or leaking.

It takes more skills than just learning to steer, shift and handle a clutch.

Wow I saw the paint flaw at the show, I did not see the majior peel! Man it did not stick.

Yes indeed the old pinned temp gauge. That is what coffee mugs are for. To prop the hood open for that extra few degrees!