Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi new to forum

Hybrid View

Hi new to forum

Hi I am new here, I have a 1941 Willys Americar Engine (only) that I am rebuilding and I am looking for parts to restore it back to the original.

Engine number is 441 73608

Engine block number is 638632W2

Engine Date is 4 11 1941

Will any parts from the Willys Jeep MA or early MB fit this engine or not??

Since I am new here I haven't figure out how to add pictures yet.

I will glad for any help I can get.

Brian Waller

Hello Brian. For the most part the L134 engine is the same. The earlier ones like yours up to 1946 used a different timing setup for the cam. (Chain vs Gear driven). The timing cover is also different, as is the camshaft. The crankshaft is unique to the chain drive also. There are some small changes to the oil pump, but for the most part the rest is the same. An older block can be retro fitted to gear driven cam by using the newer style crank, camshaft and gears. The timing cover can be modified to work. The rods are slightly different but the newer fits the older.

So for the most part, all the parts are available new and used. If it is a solid core it should be a great rebuild. You can rebuild it and keep it in its original configuration with new parts if so desired. Good luck and keep us posted!

Welcome Brian!

The parts are interchangeable for all L134 engines. The oil bath air cleaner may be of a different configuration. I haven't found a picture of the engine bay on the Americar in stock for to confirm. I believe that 98% of all cars made became either drag cars or hot rods, so stock examples aren't readily available.

To add pictures, go to the Go Advanced button at the bottom right of the reply box. Then pick from the file you want to use your pictures from.

We look forward to seeing more of your engine build. One of members Pelago is in the process of rebuilding his F134 engine. The meat of the engine are the same sans the head and intake being different.

A little help on adding photo's here.. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...re-in-a-thread

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the help. I do have another question, Where does the oil filter canister go, My engine (L-134) did not have this on it when I got it? and where does the oil lines go?? When I got my engine the oil filter was bypass.

Here another question, How does the distributor get broken off at the oil pump, the staff broken off at the oil pump? Any ideas? This is the reasons for my engine rebuild.

I hope I get some help here.

Thanks,
    Brian Waller

Here is a picture of where the oil filter goes. The pressure line goes from the main oil galley in the block in front of the fuel pump, to the top of the filter canister. The return line goes from the bottom of the canister, to the top passenger side of the timing cover.

I am thinking you mean the distributor housing is broken? If so the distributors are notorious in these for seizing up in the block. I have seen people do terrible things that might break it off. If you mean the shaft is broken where it engages the oil pump, I would suspect something got in the pump and tied it up.

Put up some pictures so we can see what you are running into. You need to be sure to reference the Tech Library section of this forum. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...3-Tech-Library Links to all the manuals for your project are there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the information. My engine came with no oil filter on it. My oil filter was bypass. I temporary put back put my oil line back on and took a picture just to show everyone. I will add pictures later. My timing cover have no hole in it for the oil line too go in. The picture I took will show what I am talking about. I will also try to upload pictures of my engine rebuild.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I will try to uploaded a picture. This picture will show where my oil line ran.

Well the picture will not upload, so I am going to tell you, My oil lines, in which bypass the oil filter, ran from the oil line plug below the fuel pump on the engine block and went up to the back bolt hole of fuel pump.

I hope this help some.

Brian Waller
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats not right at all.
    I dont think I have ever seen a "Jerry Rig" quite like what you have there.

That's only not right, it approaches sick and wrong. Send us pictures of your timing gear cover - several views. This isn't hard to make right!

But, this started out as an Americar engine and it may not have a return fitting on the timing gear cover, we have learned not to say "Willys would have never ...." .
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 08-01-2020 at 10:56 AM.