Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi new to forum

OK that tells the story. That is not "hooked up" like that Brian. Someone just stuck it in there. I see your confusion. There is no doubt it wont work there as the fuel pump wont even be able to be bolted on. Someone stuck the other end of the oil line in the fuel pump mount bolt hole.

The line from the block is the pressure line. It goes from the block to the top of the oil filter. Take a picture of the timing cover for us and we will see where the other "return" line goes.

Here is a link on posting photos: https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...re-in-a-thread

Hi there,

I know that my engine is the original 1941 Willys Americar Engine, L-134, 4 cyl flathead with a three speed with reverse standard transmission (T84 - G).

My engine came with no oil filter on it when I got it. The picture show where the oil line ran with the oil filter bypass. My timing chain cover is the original cover with no hole for the oil return line. The timing chain is getting oil somehow, I not sure how. I will try to take more pictures and try to upload my over pictures I have.

Thanks
    Brian Waller
    Last edited by Brian Waller; 08-01-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Good Brian, post more pictures. Your engine does not run the way it is in the picture you posted. There are a few parts missing. Make sure you go to the tech section and go to the manuals for your engine. You will not be able to do this without the manuals. To "bypass" the oil filter in an L134 you plug the oil port on the engine block and the return line port on the timing cover. There would be no "By-Pass" line. It is possible the line that is stuck in the fuel pump hole, went to a remote oil filter somewhere. It is also possible your oil filter is simply missing and that is the line that used to go to it. In any event, the fuel pump goes where the line is. The timing chain is oiled by a "jet" orifice in the block next to the gears. The filter oil return is not how the timing chain is primarily oiled.

Take a thorough look at the manuals and see if that helps with this. Keep us posted with photos and your progress.

The Tech Forum here:
    https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...3-Tech-Library

The L134 Engine:
    https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ty-Truck-M38A1
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-02-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Hi there,

I have searching for weeks on end just to find picture of a 1941 Willys Americar engine, I have found two different pictures showing the engine in an 1941 Willys Americar.

1941-Willys-Engine-View-630x390.jpg
    image_40.jpg

I hope to find more pictures, but I still looking.

Thanks,
    Brian Waller

Those photos are showing the canister on the opposite side it is usually on in the Willys Jeeps. In any event, you can see the PRESSURE line coming in from the passenger side of the engine. There must be a pressure port on that side. I am not aware of one. I cannot tell where the oil RETURN line is going. It comes out of the bottom of the can. You can see the fuel pump is installed. The return line does not go there.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-02-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Hi there,

I am uploading some pictures of my timing chain cover and what is left of my distributor.

My timing chain cover

100_1128.jpg
    100_1129.jpg

The next picture is what is left of my distributor, the small metal piece below the distributor is the piece that broke off, which engage into the oil pump. I broke my distributor in pieces trying to remove it from my engine block, it was rusted in.
    Original distributor ID: Autolite IGW4129

100_1130.jpg

I am just wondering if the new replacement distributor will work?

Also I have gotten my engine gaskets set and my new oil pump. The oil pump is a little different then my old oil pump, bolting up to block, but I think I can make it work. I will take more pictures.

Also I need to need to figure out the Valve timing with pistons?

I hope this will help out and I do hope I will get some help.

Brian Waller

Quite a project there Brian! Your timing cover indeed has no provision for the return. Not all of the early 134's produced had an oil filtration system. It is possible someone added a filter. The return needs to go to a non pressurized spot. The pressure line should hook up to the port next to the fuel pump in the front of the engine. You can install a return line fitting in the timing cover.

The replacement distributors will work. The broken piece is the drive tab for the distributor. The shaft must have seized and the ab sheared off.

What are you trying to figure out about the valve timing?

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone have an old distributors from 1941, Autolite IGW4129.
    I need a new one.

Thanks
    Brian Waller