Thread: New to the forum. 58 wagon steering question

New to the forum. 58 wagon steering question

I have a 1958 Utility Delivery. I’m looking for help with a steering problem. My Jeep runs straight and true down the highway but the spokes on the steering wheel are at 2 O’clock and 8 O’clock instead of horizontal at 3 and 9. Can anyone tell me how this can be corrected? Thanks in advance.

Welcome CBrandtbliska,

If the road manners are good, there is a simple solution to this conundrum. Pull the steering wheel, and put it back on straight. Easier said then done if it has been on there for a long time. Start off by pulling the horn button and spraying down the nut with WD40 or equivalent, and let sit. Then pull the nut off and give the splines another squirt. Next find a puller that threads down through a bearing plate to support the bottom of the wheel. Do not use a jaw puller, or you'll be searching for a new wheel. Smooth and steady is the name of the game.

The "by the book" Method is to do a few things. In the end you may find you have to do as gmwillys suggests, in which case get a good puller.

The steering box sector shaft/pitman arm MUST be in the middle when the vehicle is moving straight ahead. The steering box has a "High Point" that is dead center. This spot is the tightest in the gear lash so the vehicle doesn't wander in the slop of the steering box. So the first step is to find the center of travel. You turn the steering wheel lock to lock and count the turns. Then turn the wheel back 1/2 way, that is the center. At this point the steering wheel needs to be where you want it for straight ahead travel. If it is not, apply gmwillys advice and move the wheel to the correct position. If after performing the above your wheels are not pointing straight ahead, turn the tie rod adjusters equally until they are. Your wheel is now straight and the tires match. There are so many after market parts out there, it is quite possible the tie rods aren't quite the right lengths. All the wheels steering and all, straight ahead with the sector shaft in the middle and you have it. That would be perfect!

Thank you both for your suggestions. I thought of removing the steering wheel but I’ve heard that it can be a very difficult job. I’ve owned this truck for many years and this out of true steering wheel condition is fairly recent. Leading me to think that something is out of adjustment

With that being said, go with Bmorgil's advice. There is something to investigate if it was a recent occurrence.

The trick to the steering wheel removal is three key factors. Penetrant oil, pressure, and time. Don't get in a hurry with the plastic covered wagon/truck wheels, because you'll end up with cracks and cussing.

True story on the steering wheel gm! I was impatient on mine and ended up with a new wheel and tube.