Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New here need opinion.

New here need opinion.

Hi My name is Stephane
    I am new in jeep restoration
    I am thinking buying a 1944 dated wiilys jeep.
    The owner has proof that his father bought it in 1949 in Holland as military surplus.
    The jeep was completely rebuilt with new transmission, transfer case and drive shafts all new old stock in 1971 or so. His father used it until 1979 from time to time.
    He is asking 14 000$ it is in full working condition, no rust anywhere and is complete.
    The only thing that is bothering me is the fact that the frame is a Ford and the body is a Willys. The engine is alsow a Ford. Both the frame and the dash plates have the same serial # exept for the letters prefixs.
    Since I am new in this, I need some help here. Is it OK that the frame is not the same as the body?
    Is it worth that much?
    Thank you for your help
    Stéphane.

Welcome pipefitter44,

To start, the mix match of parts is not that uncommon when after the war these steeds usually were overhauled at one of the government, (U.S., Europe, South African) depots. The Jeeps were torn down to the bare frames and the piece parts were all sent to different sections of the facility. When it was time for reassembly, the workers would just pull parts from a bin and throw it together. The parts were to have been all interchangeable, so there was little concern of fitment.

http://www.ewillys.com/2019/02/12/je...ning-programs/

$14,000 is a steep price, but considering what you are getting, I would consider purchasing it if I were presented to me. The hodge podge of parts adds to the history, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Welcome pipefitter44,

To start, the mix match of parts is not that uncommon when after the war these steeds usually were overhauled at one of the government, (U.S., Europe, South African) depots. The Jeeps were torn down to the bare frames and the piece parts were all sent to different sections of the facility. When it was time for reassembly, the workers would just pull parts from a bin and throw it together. The parts were to have been all interchangeable, so there was little concern of fitment.

http://www.ewillys.com/2019/02/12/je...ning-programs/

$14,000 is a steep price, but considering what you are getting, I would consider purchasing it if I were presented to me. The hodge podge of parts adds to the history, in my opinion.
    Thank you for your advices. I apreciate it a lot.
    I will purchas the jeep. Once it is done I wil post pictures here.
    Stéphane

We look forward to seeing more of your new purchase.

Be sure to keep us posted. It is always a good time reading/watching the reappearance of a classic. It looks to be in great condition as it is. Sounds like it is ready to drive in the parade! Very few people are interested in if those are the parts it was built with or not (top collectors). It is much more important that it looks right and drives well. Those are all the parts that you would have found back in that era. When someone asks you if it is original you can confidently say it has all the parts you could have found on it in the era. The interchangeability of the Military vehicles parts was a strategy. As gmwillys points out, all the parts interchange for the exact reason you now have what you have. The intent was then and is now to "keep them on the road". I would bet money that in the late 1940's there were plenty of jeeps with the parts required, not necessarily from that particular "Military Vehicle". I think it was a priority of the "Motor Pool" to keep em' fighting, parts is parts.

Time life magazine put out several photos of rear echelon salvage yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gotta love the two guy's in the second shot pulling parts!

If that's a 3A back seat they're pulling, I'll trade'em my 2A seat frame. haha

Congrats on the purchase pipefitter.

Gotta love the two guy's in the second shot pulling parts!

I've seen that before and completely missed that! Man, imagine that pile. What a day that would be.

Welcome pipe fitter! Looks like a great project. No need to delay, post pictures through the whole ride!
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 08-19-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Be sure to keep us posted. It is always a good time reading/watching the reappearance of a classic. It looks to be in great condition as it is. Sounds like it is ready to drive in the parade! Very few people are interested in if those are the parts it was built with or not (top collectors). It is much more important that it looks right and drives well. Those are all the parts that you would have found back in that era. When someone asks you if it is original you can confidently say it has all the parts you could have found on it in the era. The interchangeability of the Military vehicles parts was a strategy. As gmwillys points out, all the parts interchange for the exact reason you now have what you have. The intent was then and is now to "keep them on the road". I would bet money that in the late 1940's there were plenty of jeeps with the parts required, not necessarily from that particular "Military Vehicle". I think it was a priority of the "Motor Pool" to keep em' fighting, parts is parts.
    I sure will
    I am taking it back home saturday.
    I went to try it last night and on a second look, it is a Willys frame since the serial nbr start with MB357784. The seller tought that was the Ford digits since GCW has a W for Willys. I am verry happy now.
    The jeep is in great condition. I am the forth owner. First US Army, then the war surplus seller in Holland in 1949, after the one I bought it from, then me. I have all the papers. Copies of the original purchasse in 1949, the copie of the shipping to Canada in 1951-52 when the previous owner came to Canada with his family.
    I will post a complete picture when I have it all in hand. I am verry trill. PS forgive my spelling, I am a Frensh Canadian so I amdoing my best.
    Will keep you posted.
    Stéphane.