Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hey Folks! Carolina CJ-3A family project

I have the puller gm suggests. The "secret" to it is the impact technique used. The jolt combined with the pressure has yet to fail me. As long as you have studs that puller will get the tapered axle apart. You will read a lot of persons on the net trying to figure out how to get the wheel assembly off, with a myriad of pullers and techniques. Most fail. I have never had a taper axle resist this type of puller. This impact style has pulled them all no sweat. google "tapered axle hub puller". I have this one. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7394-Univ.../dp/B0002SRH60. The one from KW is good quality and OTC is a good name. Stick with both as I have seen cheep Chinese impact pullers spontaneously disassemble on "impact".

These are the pullers recommended in the original Jeep service manuals.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-08-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks guys. It doesn't look like any of my local parts stores loan that type of puller. I guess L and I will have to save up and split the cost of just buying one. I've saved the OTC in our "wish list". lol
    Speed Safely!

BP

I got about a 3 foot 2X4 and used a 4 lb. hammer to whack it. One end practically fell off and the other took a few whacks.

okiemark, consider yourself a lucky man! It does go that way sometimes. When they are stuck on the tapers, I have seen a lot of "tears". If they don't come off fairly easy as yours did, they will probably require an impact puller.

I wondered about that. Maybe the ones on mine had been on fairly "recently".

I've had them go both ways as far as removal goes. A frequently driven Heep took the before mentioned OTC puller, a torch, and a sledge hammer to shock the hubs off. Then I've had one frame that was found in a creek bottom that came apart with no effort at all.

Respectfully request fuller detail on the 'found frame from the creek bottoms it still works!'... That tale has all the trimmings right from the start

The creek bottom frame wasn't too good as far as structural. It is pictured on it's side on the trailer. It did come in handy for mocking up tubs for body work, but the center section rails were rotten to the point that it was too far gone. The front frame horn did live on to be the replacement for our 2A, and was grafted on to replace the cobbled up original. The frame did have a rear PTO that was salvaged.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You and your trailer. Would love to tag along on an adventure that ends up pulling a willy's with wheels on out of a creek. Wonderful fun that..