Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Folks! Carolina CJ-3A family project

I have found on my '50 that the bottom/underneath has tell tale signs of the original paint all over. Sooo, it was a piece o' cake to determine my course of action. The funnest part was removing some undercoating and seeing "bright shinny" Potomac Gray as though it was painted yesterday.
    "Options are for girls"

Exciting to read this! An album for the ages.

I will say that I introduced "D" to all things mechanical when he was very young. Just a few years latter he has more cars, trucks, motorcycles and ATV's than I dreamed off. All built by him or traded by him or bought by him. Not all kids are mechanical. But if you give them something that interests them whatever it is, at a young age they will almost always show you something. Of course you have to learn right along side them and then a few steps away.

The gmwillys sanding "exercise" is spot on. "Wax on Wax off Grasshopper". A great way to learn why body work can cost thousands of dollars.

My daughter turned 15 over the weekend. She is in search of her own Heep, preferably a Wrangler. She watched me weld up the frame on the last one I had blown apart in the driveway, so she wants to get in on the fun. She has always been daddy's little helper from the time she could walk. She knew her fractions from handing me wrenches by 1st grade, but knew her colors from handing me electrical connectors from the time she was a toddler. Now she is wanting to take welding in shop class, so it will be time to buy her own hood and jacket. They grow up fast, and when you are able to spend quality time with them, it means worlds to both them and you.

Yeah, they grow up Sooo fast!

A young lady who can weld, shift a three speed with transfer case, play poker and shoot a pistol is well prepared for the world of today.

Happy Birthday to her! Welding is a skill she wont regret.

Great post! Looking forward to the build. Now, we know he will need to get stuck and broke down and not show up for a day while out on a jaunt. We all remember this right? The Jeep life begins.. then one day a long hair passenger shows up after he disappears and suddenly life vaults forward? Mostly because she selects the next modification and off we go. lol. Looking forward to pictures of the build!

WOW!!
    Thank You to each reply! This is really great and I appreciate each of your comments. I guess I'll need to start a 'build thread' in the appropriate category. Your comments have solidified my initial thought- to just enjoy it while tinkering-toward-restoration.

Currently Sarge is sitting in our house garage, so the four of us see him daily. We give him a pat on the fender, a rub on the windshield frame, or a little kick on the (recapped) tire. Sarge seems to enjoy whatever attention comes his way. lol.

Again, thank you guys!

PS- @gmwillys, "L" turned 15 in May... just say'n... haha
    Speed Safely!

BP

Yeah, my "H" knows she will end up with all my Heeps in the end, and is wanting to help with the wagon project to help move it along. I should have figured she would be into working on things since she was actually named after a carburetor, minus the E..... Long story.

As we were sitting in line at the High School a couple of weeks back she turned and said she wanted to take welding as an elective. My first reaction was to order her a welding hood and jacket, then let her bedazzle it with stickers and such. I can't say I wasn't proud!

Don't make me break out the 10 rules for dating my daughter T shirt. I've already threatened her to buy a pair of bibs, and not buttoning the top button on the sides. Then the topper would be to not wear a shirt. She just had this look of panic.

https://www.amazon.com/Rules-Dating-.../dp/B079NPKJSZ

Real Panic!

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I've already threatened her to buy a pair of bibs, and not buttoning the top button on the sides. Then the topper would be to not wear a shirt. She just had this look of panic.

I'd like to have seen YOUR look of panic if she thought that would have been a good idea.

I remember the days when I was working cotton (in the truck) 'way down in the country and I would stop at some little one gas pump store on a gravel road to get a coke-cola. (If I had an extra 15-cents, I might get a Moon Pie to go with it.

There would be a couple of guys hanging around who would be wearing old duckhead overalls with only the top button on the side buttoned, a piece of wire holding one strap through the button hole, no shirt and a pair of old low top boon-docker work shoes with maybe one lace or no laces in them. I'm not sure if they had either boxers or briefs under there.

Some of those guys were hauling cypress bark or pine scrap in old cut down school buses. The fun started when the cottonmouth moccasins or water snakes came crawling out of the load of bark and wanted to help drive the bus.

"L" is going to have to take Agriculture in order to get any welding schooling at our little HS. Welding isn't offered as a stand-alone class till community college.

I like the t-shirt!
    Speed Safely!

BP