Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parts Question

That’s funny, mine has the same antenna mount in the same place. Must have been a popular thing to have on your Willys.

Whoa', a '47 panel?, in better shape than the '58 and you are not inclined to keep the '47 intact? I'm missing something...and pictures. How early (Vin) of a panel is the '47 ? Before you plug in the Sazall, take a breath.
    "Options are for girls"

Early ('47) and Late ('58) Panel layouts

Here are the two panel layouts:

The biggest issue would be that the '47 temp gauge would read bass-ackwards with the sensor in the '58. I fought that for several years and I finally fixed it. The other gauges should hook up to the '58 sensors (oil and fuel) and the ammeter doesn't really care. The speedometer cable in the '58 should hook up to the '47 speedometer.

Light switches will take a little doing, but no real problem.

BUT - condition of gauges in the '47 might make that a totally different story....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Condition of the '47 will dictate exactly where you'll take the build. A better body is nice, but if it has been gutted of all piece parts, then I would use the best of both worlds. There are reasons you'll likely never see a "numbers matching" factory original Willys. They were built with the premise of being a custom vehicle from the factory. I like to be as original as I can, but prudence takes precedence.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    but prudence takes precedence.
    Definitely agree with that gm!! Better to have a nice one that is period correct than none at all.

Well, the body on the 47 is waay better than the 58, so I’m thinking about cutting the front end off the 58 and welding it to the 47 chassis. That would make a better fit than moving everything to the 58 chassis. The 47 is missing a lot but so is the 58. I like the dash in the 58 better than the 47. The gages are in sad shape on the 47. There’s nothing forward of the firewall left except body panels in the 47. Well, there is a 327 that’s probably locked up that will have to come out. The 58 has a 350 in it that runs. You see my dilemma now. Both of these have been murdered. It’ll be a FrankenWillys.

Snap some pictures of both bodies so we can help brainstorm. I have our '63 with the body off the frame currently, so it wouldn't take a minute to take some measurements.
    The' 47 with the '58 dash and front clip would work, but you might be better off with the 58 frame for any difference in the mount for the grill. You have both, so it will be easy to compare.

This is going to be very cool.

Prudence takes precedence... Love that. However, parts play a part too, since you can't eat what you don't grow. This one is going to be a fun build to watch

I went and took a look for the VIN Plate and, unfortunately it’s gone. Which explains why it was bill of sale only and no title. On the other hand, I do have the title to the 58. Either way, one these bodies will end up sporting a 58 Serial Number. I’ll try to get pictures tomorrow or this weekend. Not sure how or even if I can put them on here. Thanks to all of you again.