Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New and happy to meet everyone

New and happy to meet everyone

Hey everyone I'm Dustin I live in central California and we have a willys jeep that's been in the family since the 60s it was my grandfather's and my mom drove it around when she was 9 and can tell u how every scratch and dent got there my grandfather passed 3 years ago so we took the jeep home finally last week I think it's a 1953 cj-3b with huracan engine. Have new rebuilt one ready for it but my mom gave it to me to restore and the family to keep having fun with. Just wanted to see what u guys think I'm not a vary smart man when it comes to willys just yet I know u guys are gonna be the smartest people to talk to. Going to start making a list Thursday. And clean it up ive built a few mopars 71 roadrunner and street rods my whole life so I'm VARY EXCITED to start this one so I can get away from people and do so fishing and hunting in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Dustin! We are happy to have you on board.

If you can handle building street rods and a Roadrunner, you'll have no problem figuring out your 3B. They are pretty basic machines, but do tend to have a stubborn streak from time to time. We will be happy to assist any way we can.

In my opinion, I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to the body. Each scratch and dent tells a family story. Get her up and running, and enjoy it just as it is.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 08-26-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Wow that is a great start Dustin! You truly own the history. I would have Mom walk around it with your video camera in hand, and record its memory. You don't often have that opportunity. Darn clean Jeep there. I like the parking sign.

Hey Dustin,
    these guys are smart all right so you are inhabiting the right website. Take your time, do your homework and ask lots of questions.
    "Options are for girls"

You've got a whole lot to work with there. And you have a new engine to boot. Depends on how detailed you want to get on the body and paint, now is the time to give it a good going through. The body will come of pretty easily.

Seriously - do have your Mom give you a dent-by-dent tour of the Jeep on video. It will be a very dear family history item and a source of a lot of stories.

Welcome Dustin.
    I see you got added, so now those thumbs can get busy!
    Speed Safely!

BP

Ya I should she was just telling me how one of the horses bit one of the windshield bumpers on the hood and she got in trouble by my grandfather cuz she parked it to close to the stalls lol my plan is to make it all original from 1953 and how my grandfather kept it he used it for work around property and to deliver parts and engines and go off roading and snow driving just to get to the store and back it mainly lived in Pollock pines and up hwy 88 and hwy 4 it's been everywhere in these mountains.

Anyone have a willys with the speedo only in kilometers?

Are you saying your speedo reads in kilometers? Or are you looking for one that reads in kilometers?