Thread: What type of hood do I have?

Question What type of hood do I have?

I am restoring a 1950 CJ3A. The hood has 6 sets of holes which looks like wood strips or something else was attached. I believe last years Kaiser Willys catalog had a picture of one on one of the pictures at the front of it. Can anyone please identify it for me.

I have seen this done before. Some were the DJ 3A resort Jeeps, but otherwise It wasn't a factory option, but rather someone wanting more places to put things. Usually the have cut down the wood runners that were available from the dealer for the Wagons. Others were done by the end consumer.

The only original holes on top of the hood would be the four up front for the wood blocks. I have seen wood strips also. I agree with gm, a custom installed luggage rack.

Thanks for the input. Do you think it decreases the value of the CJ3A to have the strips on? I plan on selling this rehab at some piont.

No, put some nice oak strips on there and it will be custom. It won't hurt the value.

As gm said there are a few running around with wood like that. As far as value, it is worth what someone will pay for it. The value of these is truly in the buyer. A clean period correct antique is going to command a good price regardless. The right buyer will pay what it is worth. When you can't restore it yourself, how bad do you want it? A "numbers correct" Willys would be hard to find and hard to prove.