Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CJ-3B Transmission Problem - Shift lever not shifting the gears

gm is the man when it comes to ultimate resourcefulness. Economical and safe, using a lot of on hand material. The guy you want in your club when your stranded somewhere!

Definitely buy the engine hoist. I have saved my back many times. It does a great job picking up the trans, transfer case and cross member assembly, and setting the whole ball game on the bench. (something I seem to like to practice)

gm, whats the capacity on that boom at that length? It seems to handle the load well.

Chuck, the roll pins are what is used today. Just make sure they are HARDENED roll pins and the correct size. Roll pins are sized by the diameter of the required hole, i.e. a 1/8" roll pin will fit tightly in a 1/8" hole. No China allowed. That's whats in mine (hardened roll pins). The shift lever spring can be found. If it is pitted, it will eventually break. Here is a good source, https://www.willysjeepparts.com/T90_..._And_Parts.htm

Thank You Bob,

Chuck

The engine hoist is a 2 1/2 ton with the boom all the way in, and 1/2 ton all the way out. It handles well at that length on just about everything. I've had this same one for around 25 years and you wouldn't believe what all it has picked up thus far. It handles big blocks with transmissions attached well, but grunts with a GM 6.2 diesel/trans/transfercase hanging. The best was putting my snow mobile on a shelf for summer storage.... The lift came from Northern Tool and Equipment, for around $180 back then. The only thing I did was swap out the Chinese bolts for grade 8 hardware. I always said that when the ram starts leaking, I would swap in a duel action pump, but it just keeps hanging in there.

I have a very similar hoist. I bought mine from Summit many years ago. That is a good size.

I like the fact that it folds up for storage to a fairly small foot print. Even when I had my bigger shop, floor space was always a premium.

Hello Jeep Friends,

I want to give you an update on my tale of two transmissions.

First the driver: I was able to flush the gear case and transfer case three times with diesel fuel. I chose diesel over kerosene because it was easy for me to get. After the flush I made sure that I could freely shift the gears by hand. I removed the transfer case pan and cleaned out the last bit of sludge. I put the pan back on and put all the plugs back in and filled it with 40 weight motor oil. I replaced the shift cover and cranked it up. Please note this has all happened with the Jeep on jack stands and the wheels off. I was able to shift through all gears and confirmed that the wheels were turning. I feel that I have a workable drive train and I can proceed with the work toward restoration.

Now for the rust bucket: I did a complete disassembly and gained a lot of knowledge from the experience. I was able to inspect all gears and shafts and was surprised to find that some parts seem to be in, not perfect but usable condition. On the other hand some parts will never be used again. I found no rust on needle bearings or the main shaft. Some gears had pitting and some did not. The worst item was the cluster gear. It was very rusty and had several teeth were missing. It needs parts but it is rebuildable.

Thank you My Jeep Friends.

Chuck

Great job Chuck. The best way to learn all you need to know about a component is to tear it down. You'll end up with two good transmissions, and maybe some trading material.