Thread: New to Jeeps, restoring a 1941 Willys MB

New to Jeeps, restoring a 1941 Willys MB

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and this is my first Jeep I have ever owned. I wanted something with a WWII history, and was able to pickup a 1941 Jeep Willys MB. I live in SW Washington near Portland, OR. I know I will have questions throughout the restoration and am looking forward to getting some expert advice from other Jeep enthusiasts. My goal is to get it very close to the original 1941 Willys, but I may make one or two changes. For example I am not a big fan of the oil air filter setup, but we will see. Glad to be here!

IMG_0807.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

A good solid start there. It looks like it has a lot of original stuff. Welcome!

I might get shot for this but, though the oil bath air cleaner provides good filtration with little restriction, I also am not a big fan. Just too messy for me. I use an element replacement inside the original oil bath housing, WIX 42036 with a large O-Ring. No one knows it is in there. Well now they might. Anyway you will hear a lot about witch one is best. I just don't like the "mess on the show car". The oil bath is functional and extremely economical. I will probably never have to change the element on mine however. It is trending 150 miles a year in usage.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-31-2020 at 01:00 PM.

I asked mechanic to modify 64 to air filter. He found one that fits perfectly, cut the steel cap to fit nicely. No worries is why for me, much happier knowing it isn't sloshing.