Thread: Converting an Oil bath Air Cleaner to An Element

Converting an Oil bath Air Cleaner to An Element

In case you want to convert your Donaldson style (Most CJ2A's to late CJ3A's) or Oaks style (MB CJ2/CJ3A) oil bath to an element, here is a fairly easy way to do it. I think the oil bath cleaner is superior to the element in a few ways. However, the large surface area of the WIX filter helps tremendously with restriction. The economy of the oil bath goes without saying. No mess in the show is nice however. No one will know.

You need a WIX 42036 or NAPA 2036 Filter.
    Also two Peterson Mfg Co B426-18 Grommets. These are available at Auto Value Parts stores and elsewhere. They are the grommets for 4" trailer lights.

This is fairly straight forward. Stretch the grommets small side over the ends of the filter. You dont need to push them way on. You want to make sure the grommet is down in the bottom and up into the top when assembled. Slide the filter in and use a long blade screw driver to gently help it down, make sure it goes down square. When you put the top on that's it. No more mess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-02-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Thank you bmorgil! This has been on my to do list for a while, just haven't taken the time to gather the parts. I should have the grommets floating around in the bottom catch all drawer of the tool box.

If you cant find the grommets, I paid $1.47 each. I'll mail you some. You would owe me a coffee.

I know I have some floating around in the bottom of the catch all. Thank you Sir. I probably owe you a cup anyway.