Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Jeep fun.

More Jeep fun.

Ordered me a tune up kit to try to fix the rough running motor on my project. Got the kit promptly, opened it and the cap was way to big in diameter. KW showed two possibilities but both caps were over 3 inches in diameter. Mine is only 2 1/2 inches in diameter. The identifying tag was broken off. Sent them some pictures and was told which kit to order. It turns out to be for a 46-53 truck or wagon or a 48-51 Jeepster. Makes me wonder if my engine was the original or if they had just swapped out a distributor. Since mine was a 57 CJ-5 I doubt if they would have still had the old style distributors that late in the game. This distributor is so small around the condenser is on the outside but seems to be sound mechanically.

Sorry that's not good...

Take a pic of that distributor Mark, lets take a peak.

Internal vs. External Condenser

Quote Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
    . This distributor is so small around the condenser is on the outside but seems to be sound mechanically.
    I do dimly remember a "little cap" - "big cap" issue with the truck back in the mid-60's when I started driving it, but I don't remember much beyond that. If the distributor was for a 46 - 53 truck, it would have been for either the L-134 or F-134 engines. I've never seen (or at least remember) a distributor for either the L or F engines that had an external condenser - but as we've learned "Never say .... ".

It does appear that the CJ's and trucks used a different distributor - just something else to keep an eye on as we swap pieces and parts around.

Here is that distributor. Look at how the points adjust.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A wild stab in the dark, but it almost looks like a Crosley distributor. I'm going to have to fact check that one for certain.

That is so cute - it looks like a distributor, only smaller.

Yeah, we know the other story ....

It looks to me like the correct distributor housing with a homemade breaker plate and the condenser mounted outside. The points are definitely "not from around here". Somebody made it work with what they had I think. I would try to find a distributor on the net and rebuild it. That one is just not right. Take some pictures of the sides.

Well the guy at KW looked at it and said what kit I needed so I'll see what it is when it gets here.

I had it apart and cleaned it up and everything looked right but I didn't know any better. There just isn't room in there for a condenser.